What drives traffic, boosts sales, and generates buzz better than media coverage? The answer—nothing. Here with five tips on how to make your product, service, or release more newsworthy is Money Maker Discussion’s Murray Newlands.
- Is there something about your product or service that will change the lives of a journalist or blogger’s readers? If a writer sees educational value within your product, they will be compelled to share it with their friends, family, and readers.
2. Extremes or Superlatives
- Reporters love extremes or superlatives—the first, the last, the best, the worst, the biggest, the smallest, etc. If your product or service contains one of these extremes, then highlighting it will definitely make it more newsworthy. So, if you have the first Twitter lead generation tool or the first system for beating the panda update, make sure to make that information known to the media.
3. David vs. Goliath
- How your book or product has helped a little business beat a well know brand at one thing? Showing that your product or service is powerful enough to successfully compete with the major players will help build a strong reputation and that it is specialized for a unique task. Plus, journalists love covering an underdog story, so if you have one, it’s a good idea to share it.
- Reporters are professional storytellers, and all good stories revolve around a central conflict. If your product or service is better than your competitors, or you simply disagree with their approach, you’re much more likely to receive coverage if you voice your disapproval. For example, if you have an SEO product or strategy, point out the flaws in your competitor’s product and highlight how yours does a better job.
5. Timely and Relevant
- Timely stories, often about an upcoming event, and stories that are relevant to the news organization’s specialty reign supreme when it comes to being newsworthy. If you have a product that works for affiliates, launch it at affiliate summit and explain why it will help them.
If you are looking to gain more exposure and a wider audience for your next product or service launch, be sure to use these strategies, especially when speaking to members of the media or when approaching blogs to share your product. The more newsworthy your product is, the more it will be shared, read about, and hopefully purchased.
If you have more tips and tricks to help gain product coverage, please share them in the comments below.