By: Casey Haslem
If your business is like most other small businesses, your marketing plan might still be stuck in the dark ages. But there’s much more to successful business marketing than phone book listings and fliers. Try these five tips to take your business marketing plan to the next level.
- Make Your Website Great—Your website will be the first impression many potential customers have of your business – so it’s important to put your best foot forward. Even if you don’t have a large budget, you can still create a site that’s professional and compelling. Concentrate first on a great header, tagline, and logo, and upgrade other elements as you can. It’s also a good idea to ensure your website is fully responsive, for optimal viewing on mobile devices.
- Harness Social Media—If your business doesn’t have a presence on Facebook and Twitter, you’re missing out on valuable marketing opportunities. A strong presence on social media can dramatically increase your business. Remember that to be successful on social media, you’ll need to provide real value. Try posting tips about your products, hints and howto’s, or even exclusive discounts to keep potential customers coming back to your page.
- Don’t Put Your Eggs In One Basket—Remember that business marketing is a continually shifting landscape. Even if you’ve found a system that works, it’s a good idea to continue to expand your horizons. If you’re already getting great search traffic, pursue direct marketing or pay-per-click advertising. If you’ve found success on Facebook, create an account on Pintrest, and expand your marketing efforts there too.
- Connect With Your Customers—Remember that business marketing is a two-way street. The more you can engage and connect directly with customers, the better your bottom line will be. Post content that encourages discussion. Targeted questions, new or controversial information, or incentivised posts can all encourage potential customers to actively participate and engage with your business.
- Hire a Marketing Company—Keeping on top of everything you need to do to properly market your business can be difficult, and even in the best of circumstances takes away from your day-to-day ability to focus on your business. One potential solution for small businesses is to hire an online marketing company. The best online marketing company will listen to your needs, draw up a clear plan, and implement a targeted strategy for marketing your business. For many small businesses, the reward of employing such a service far outweighs the cost.
If you have some tips of your own, make sure to share them with us in the comments section below!