Epn and blogs

Discussion in 'Ebay Marketing' started by God of Hell Fire, Jan 21, 2009.

1. God of Hell Fire

God of Hell Fire Make Money Online Very Active Members

Ok, this is how to develop an EPN Affiliate Blog from Start to Finish. This is going to be an incredibly comprehensive series, and I’m going to break everything down as much as possible, so this post may not necessarily contain any information you don’t already know, but I’m trying to include as much helpful info as possible so that this series will be helpful for beginners to advanced bloggers.
    Before we can get into all the fun stuff like finding a niche, choosing keywords and putting up the Blog, we need to make sure we have the basics down. Creating a Wordpress blog is really not very difficult, but to make it as easy as humanly possible, you really need to make sure you have all the resources you need before getting started. Here’s a breakdown of everything I use for my own projects.
    Email
    Email is so important if you expect to make a career out of making money online. If you think your hotmail, aol or yahoo free mail address is going to cut it, you’re sorely mistaken. Sure, there’s nothing really wrong with hotmail or yahoo, and millions of people use their services. If you expect to be a professional, you need to use professional tools. You don’t need to be logging into Yahoo 25 times a day to check your email account. The emails should come to you. I personally use an email address associated with my web site. If you have a portfolio site, personal site, or some kind of “main” website, I would recommend creating an email address using that site and using it as your main email address. Otherwise, I strongly recommend using a GMail address. Google Mail is used widely by professionals, works great with mobile devices, is free, and is compatible with Outlook and similar services. Which brings me to the next key thing you need - Outlook or Thunderbird. Outlook is an email manager that you tie your email address to, and it automatically downloads your emails. It runs in the background on your computer and provides a small email notification whenever you receive new emails. You can tie as many email addresses to Outlook as you want, so it’s great if you use more than 1. Thunderbird is an open-source version that is made by Mozilla. I personally use Outlook, but I’ve tried Thunderbird as well, and highly recommend it if you need an open source solution. The last important point here - try to be at least slightly professional when choosing an email address. It should be something that you wouldn’t be afraid to include on your resume.
    Web Office Tools

Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. These kind of office tools are NOT vital to running a successful Wordpress blog, but you should still be familiar with them. I use MS Office all the time, every single day. It’s another one of those things you just have to have if you expect to make a career out of making money online. Learn your way around Word and Excel, you’ll be glad you did. If you need an open source alternative to Microsoft Office, try Open Office. I’ve used their word processor and spreadsheet program quite a bit, and they really aren’t bad at all. I think Google may have similar services available online, so you could check that out as well.
    Web Development Tools
    Even if you don’t plan on doing a lot of heavy editing of your Blogs, you still should consider learning the basics of a few staple web development tools. There are two key things you need - an image editing tool and a web editing tool. For image editing, there is no competitor to Adobe Photoshop. Photoshop provides the tools you need to do any kind of image editing imaginable. There’s definitely a learning curve if you’ve never used it before, but if you take a little time to get familiar with it, it will pay off many times over. A good way to get started would be a simple google search for “Photoshop Tutorials”. If you need an open source alternative to Photoshop, you could try GIMP. I have personally not used it, so I can’t say for sure how it stacks up.
    The second vital web development tool you need is a web page editor. I personally thing Adobe Dreamweaver is as good as it gets. A web page editor like Dreamweaver is a great tool for opening up pages in your site and making updates. It’s also great as an FTP client, which will allow you to quickly upload files to your Blog. You’ll need to use FTP to upload things like themes and plugins, and I think Dreamweaver is a very efficient way of doing this. Dreamweaver is fairly easy to learn quickly, and I personally think it’s well worth the investment. If you need an open source web editor, try HTML Kit. It’s free, and although I’ve only used it lightly, I know of many people who swear by it.
    PayPal
    You may be a little surprised to see PayPal on this list. I’m not exactly the #1 PayPal fan - I’ve been burned by PayPal several times, and while they certainly go to great lengths to protect buyers, they really lack in the area of seller protection. That being said, I feel that an active PayPal account is something you will absolutely have to have at some point. For one thing, it’s the best way to receive your monthly Ebay Partner Network commissions. You’ll also need to buy a few things here and there - you’ll need a copy of PHPBay, you’ll need to register domains, and you may want to purchase some design and SEO services here and there. Once you have a monthly stream of revenue from commissions coming into your PayPal account, you’ll probably want to start rolling it back into your business. Paypal is a great way to manage all this, and you’ll wonder what you ever did without it.
    Domain and Hosting
    This is a no-brainer. The most important thing here is the hosting account. You’ll need a hosting account to be able to create a website. Choosing a proper hosting plan can be really tricky if you don’t know that much about hosting to begin with. For one thing, it’s hard to search for information on choosing a hosting company because there are so many “hosting comparison” affiliate sites out there, it makes it impossible to get an unbiased review. Hosting prices can also differ greatly. For example GoDaddy, which is a cheap place to register domains, charges around $40-$50 per year to host a single website. In contrast to that, the main hosting company I use, charges around $80 per year and their plan allows me to host UNLIMITED websites. Big difference if you think about it. So the $80 investment may seem like a lot up front, but you’ll absolutely want to host more than one website, and after a year you’ll see that the $80 is an incredible price for how important the hosting plan is for your business. They also have the Fantistico installer as part of the hosting package, which will allow you to do a quick one click Wordpress install, something that will save you tons of time.

There are other cheap hosting companies like dreamhost and hostgator, but I don’t use them so I don’t want to steer anyone in that direction. Also, many of my tutorials of setting up wordpress blogs will be based on Bluehost hosting, so you will be on the same page with me if you decide to go that route.
    As far as domain registrations go, it doesn’t particularly matter where you register your domains. I register many of my domains with Bluehost, just to keep everything in the same place, but I have domains spread out amongst quite a few different registrars. It will take slightly longer to set up your blog if your domain is registered with a different company than your web host, but once you learn how to do a blog setup it won’t be a big deal. I recommend either keeping most of your domains registered with your hosting company, or find a reputable company that has very low prices and register with them. You shouldn’t ever be paying more than $10.00 for a basic TLD registration (.com, .net, .org).
    Google Analytics Account
    If you don’t have a Google analytics account, you’ll definitely want to sign up for one right now. This is something you will be using frequently. Sign up for a free Google Analytics account here. Analytics are vital to monitoring your progress and figuring out where you need to expand or improve. There are a variety of other free and premium web analytics services available, but I generally prefer to go with Google Analytics.
    Ebay Partner Network Account
    This is obviously the most vital thing you’ll need. You can sign up for an Ebay Partner Network account at EbayPartnerNetwork.com. I know some people have had difficulty getting accepted into the program, so you’ll want to apply right away. If you don’t get in via Ebay, you can try to sign up via Pepperjam, although I’ve never done this so I have no idea how it works, or if it works. As a last resort, you can get into the Amazon affiliate program instead, and use the PHPZon software from the makers of PHPBay. That should make this series relevant even if you can’t get an EPN account. Really, though, you shouldn’t have that much trouble getting accepted anyway.
    Wordpress Elements
    There are several Wordpress elements you will also need to have in order to get started including a theme, plugins and an API key. I will go into detail on these items later on in the series, when we start talking about how to set up the blog.
    Attitude
    Your attitude is one of the most crucial parts of the whole process. For one thing, don’t start with huge expectations. There are a lot of people making serious money with Ebay Partner Network, but it’s not for everyone, and you won’t make anything without having to first invest some time, money and effort. If you follow my process down to the exact word, there’s still no guarantee you’re going to make anything. For me, blogging, developing and marketing websites, and making money online is my #1 hobby. Sure I love video games, sports, music and socializing, but I have a real passion for what I do. I hardly spend any time on the computer not working. I don’t play games on the computer, watch videos, and I don’t even read that many other blogs to be perfectly honest. My work is like a hobby to me. I enjoy doing it, and frankly it doesn’t matter how much money I make because I love my lifestyle. If you are serious about making money online, my #1 recommendation to you is to make it a lifestyle, and make it your #1 hobby. Period. If you do that, you will be a lot more likely to succeed.
    What’s Next?
    I provided open source alternatives for all the tools you need to complete this tutorial, so now you have no excuses for not being able to succeed. Once you’ve got all this in order, you’re ready to move on. I realize this article may be boring to some, but believe me, you need to have the proper tools before you can expect to make a career out of making money online. Now that we’ve got this out of the way we’ll get into the more interesting stuff. The next installment in this series will focus on choosing a niche, and for the first time, I’ll reveal the niche I will be developing a blog for as we move through this tutorial. It’s going to get a lot more interesting!

2. Morituri

Morituri Make Money Online

Interesting posts you have made recently :)
    I have some reading ahead, but please don't stop posting lol

3. sportbilly

sportbilly Guest

Yeah great - keep going please. Ive had phpbay sitting around for ages. Theres no excuse now not to start doing something with it. Ears open and listening ...

4. Sager

Sager Make Money Online Very Active Members

yeah looking forward to part 2!

5. second_coming

second_coming Make Money Online

hey, very nice information for beginners! can't wait for part two! thank you!

6. God of Hell Fire

EPN Affiliate Site from Start to Finish: Configuring Wordpress

Ok so you’ve got your hosting account, you’ve set up Wordpress and followed all my instructions so far. Now it’s finally time to get started setting up your blog. Before we can get into creating the actual pages, there are several important steps to configuring your Wordpress site that you’ll need to do every time you set up a site like this.
    Upload Your Theme and Plugins
    If you haven’t already gotten the Wordpress Elements you need, make sure to do that. Upload all of the plugins you need to your /plugins/ folder, and upload the WP Commerce theme (or whatever theme you want to use) to the /themes/ folder.
    Update Wordpress
    You’ll probably want to make sure your Wordpress version is current for no other reason than following along with this tutorial. I’m currently using Wordpress 2.7.1. The easiest way to update Wordpress is with the Wordpress Automatic Upgrade Plugin. You really don’t have to update Wordpress for any other reason than following this tutorial, but the auto update plugin makes it really fast and easy, so why not?
    Update Your Permalinks
    This is an absolute must. Permalinks are basically the way your URLS are configured. For example, the default WP permalink structure URLs look like this: | Shabby Chic Bedding. We want our URLs to look like this Shabbychicbedding.com - shabbychicbedding Resources and Information. This website is for sale!. This is very important mainly for SEO purposes - search engines definintely take URLs into consideration, so take a minute and make this update:

• Go to Settings -> Permalinks
    • Click the radio button next to “Custom Structure” and type in the following: /%postname%/
    • Click Save Changes
    This should be all you need to do. Bluehost is already configured so that you don’t need to make any changes to your .htaccess file, and I believe most other hosting companies also can support this function out of the box. I’ve had problems getting this to work in GoDaddy before, but I haven’t tried to set up a WP blog on GoDaddy in a long time so it may be easier now.
    Update Wordpress & Blog Address URLs
    You don’t really have to do this, but I always do. Go to settings -> General, and update the Wordpress and Blog Address URL fields to have the www. at the beginning of the URL, so instead of shabbychicbedding.net being URL, it will be Shabby Chic Bedding.
    I’m not sure if there is any real reason you would want to do this one way or the other, but I always do it.
    Delete Default Install Data, Set Up Home Page and Blog Page
    Wordpress automatically adds the token Hello World post, About Us page and comment from Mr. Wordpress. You’ll want to delete these for sure. I’ve come across a lot of blogs that haven’t deleted their Hello World or About page, which basically means there’s a ton of duplicate content out there and by leaving it on your site you’re running a small risk of being penalized by search engines.
    To delete this sample data, first go to Edit Posts, and delete Hello World. The comment will go away along with it. Then, go to Edit Pages and delete the About page. Stay there for a second so you can do the next step.
    Add Home Page and Blog Page
    We’re not really adding content yet, but we do need to have a home page and blog page set up to finish the configurations. First the home page. Under the Pages drop down menu on the left, click Add New. Call the page Home, and don’t worry about adding any content for now. Then, on the right under Attributes, select the Home template from the templates drop down, image below. Then click save.
    [​IMG]
    The Home template is a template I created to accompany this theme. Basically it is exactly the same as the regular template except I’ve removed the code that automatically inserts the page title at the top of the page. that way, you won’t have a big heading that says “Home” in the middle of your home page. Instead you can add your own tag and put in a keyword which will help with search engines.
    Next, create the blog page. Click Add New again and put Blog in the title field. You need not do anything else but publish the page.
    Set Default Home and Blog Pages
    This is a critical step that will make it so that your Blog page is in it’s own separate area of the site instead of being the home page. I will explain more on setting up your posts and pages soon, but just trust me that it’s important.

• Go to Settings -> Reading
    • Under “Front Page Displays” heading, choose the “a Static Page…” option.
    • Under “Front Page” select Home from the drop down list.
    • Under “Posts Page” select Blog from the drop down list.
    • Click save
    Activate Plugins
    Now that you’ve gotten the basic WP setup out of the way, you’ll need to activate your plugins. I’ll pretty much assume that you can figure that out on your own.
    Set Up The Theme
    This is where it will differ a little if you’re using a different theme than my WP Commerce theme. WP Commerce Steel has 3 sidebar positions. These all must be configured correctly or your theme won’t display properly.
    After you’ve activated WP Commerce Steel, go to the Widgets manager. The first sidebar you see should be “sidebar-top”. This sidebar position was specifically developed for use with the Search-2-Post plugin. If you’ve got that activated, add it to that sidebar and save. I’ll provide a tutorial on configuring it soon. You can also place a regular search widget in this area, a Google Custom search bar, or a blank text widget and leave it empty.
    Next, select “sidebar-left-1″. This sidebar position is the upper left sidebar that is enclosed in a blue background. It is intended for placing your “store” navigation here. The only widget you need in this sidebar is the Flexi Pages widget, but you can also add additional widgets below if you choose. I will provide additional information on configuring the Flexi-Pages widget in an upcoming post.
    Last, check out “sidebar-left-2″. I like to use the PHPBay Sidebar widget in this area to show a “featured product”. You can add whatever you like in this area.
    What’s Next?
    You’ve got all the basic configuration set, you’ve uploaded all the plugins and theme that I’ve recommended so far, and configured the sidebars according to my specs. If you’ve followed everything the right way up to this point, your site should have a normal appearance, and be ready for content.

7. God of Hell Fire

EPN Affiliate Site from Start to Finish: Configuring Wordpress

Ok so you’ve got your hosting account, you’ve set up Wordpress and followed all my instructions so far. Now it’s finally time to get started setting up your blog. Before we can get into creating the actual pages, there are several important steps to configuring your Wordpress site that you’ll need to do every time you set up a site like this.
    Upload Your Theme and Plugins
    If you haven’t already gotten the Wordpress Elements you need, make sure to do that. Upload all of the plugins you need to your /plugins/ folder, and upload the WP Commerce theme (or whatever theme you want to use) to the /themes/ folder.
    Update Wordpress
    You’ll probably want to make sure your Wordpress version is current for no other reason than following along with this tutorial. I’m currently using Wordpress 2.7.1. The easiest way to update Wordpress is with the Wordpress Automatic Upgrade Plugin. You really don’t have to update Wordpress for any other reason than following this tutorial, but the auto update plugin makes it really fast and easy, so why not?
    Update Your Permalinks
    This is an absolute must. Permalinks are basically the way your URLS are configured. For example, the default WP permalink structure URLs look like this: | Shabby Chic Bedding. We want our URLs to look like this Shabbychicbedding.com - shabbychicbedding Resources and Information. This website is for sale!. This is very important mainly for SEO purposes - search engines definintely take URLs into consideration, so take a minute and make this update:

• Go to Settings -> Permalinks
    • Click the radio button next to “Custom Structure†and type in the following: /%postname%/
    • Click Save Changes
    This should be all you need to do. Bluehost is already configured so that you don’t need to make any changes to your .htaccess file, and I believe most other hosting companies also can support this function out of the box. I’ve had problems getting this to work in GoDaddy before, but I haven’t tried to set up a WP blog on GoDaddy in a long time so it may be easier now.
    Update Wordpress & Blog Address URLs
    You don’t really have to do this, but I always do. Go to settings -> General, and update the Wordpress and Blog Address URL fields to have the www. at the beginning of the URL, so instead of shabbychicbedding.net being URL, it will be Shabby Chic Bedding.
    I’m not sure if there is any real reason you would want to do this one way or the other, but I always do it.
    Delete Default Install Data, Set Up Home Page and Blog Page
    Wordpress automatically adds the token Hello World post, About Us page and comment from Mr. Wordpress. You’ll want to delete these for sure. I’ve come across a lot of blogs that haven’t deleted their Hello World or About page, which basically means there’s a ton of duplicate content out there and by leaving it on your site you’re running a small risk of being penalized by search engines.
    To delete this sample data, first go to Edit Posts, and delete Hello World. The comment will go away along with it. Then, go to Edit Pages and delete the About page. Stay there for a second so you can do the next step.
    Add Home Page and Blog Page
    We’re not really adding content yet, but we do need to have a home page and blog page set up to finish the configurations. First the home page. Under the Pages drop down menu on the left, click Add New. Call the page Home, and don’t worry about adding any content for now. Then, on the right under Attributes, select the Home template from the templates drop down, image below. Then click save.
    [​IMG]
    The Home template is a template I created to accompany this theme. Basically it is exactly the same as the regular template except I’ve removed the code that automatically inserts the page title at the top of the page. that way, you won’t have a big heading that says “Home†in the middle of your home page. Instead you can add your own tag and put in a keyword which will help with search engines.
    Next, create the blog page. Click Add New again and put Blog in the title field. You need not do anything else but publish the page.
    Set Default Home and Blog Pages
    This is a critical step that will make it so that your Blog page is in it’s own separate area of the site instead of being the home page. I will explain more on setting up your posts and pages soon, but just trust me that it’s important.

• Go to Settings -> Reading
    • Under “Front Page Displays†heading, choose the “a Static Page…†option.
    • Under “Front Page†select Home from the drop down list.
    • Under “Posts Page†select Blog from the drop down list.
    • Click save
    Activate Plugins
    Now that you’ve gotten the basic WP setup out of the way, you’ll need to activate your plugins. I’ll pretty much assume that you can figure that out on your own.
    Set Up The Theme
    This is where it will differ a little if you’re using a different theme than my WP Commerce theme. WP Commerce Steel has 3 sidebar positions. These all must be configured correctly or your theme won’t display properly.
    After you’ve activated WP Commerce Steel, go to the Widgets manager. The first sidebar you see should be “sidebar-topâ€. This sidebar position was specifically developed for use with the Search-2-Post plugin. If you’ve got that activated, add it to that sidebar and save. I’ll provide a tutorial on configuring it soon. You can also place a regular search widget in this area, a Google Custom search bar, or a blank text widget and leave it empty.
    Next, select “sidebar-left-1″. This sidebar position is the upper left sidebar that is enclosed in a blue background. It is intended for placing your “store†navigation here. The only widget you need in this sidebar is the Flexi Pages widget, but you can also add additional widgets below if you choose. I will provide additional information on configuring the Flexi-Pages widget in an upcoming post.
    Last, check out “sidebar-left-2″. I like to use the PHPBay Sidebar widget in this area to show a “featured productâ€. You can add whatever you like in this area.
    What’s Next?
    You’ve got all the basic configuration set, you’ve uploaded all the plugins and theme that I’ve recommended so far, and configured the sidebars according to my specs. If you’ve followed everything the right way up to this point, your site should have a normal appearance, and be ready for content.

8. second_coming

second_coming Make Money Online

great thing dude!

9. wytslyts3

wytslyts3 Make Money Online

man on man have you started my engine, thank you and keep up the great posts!!! I llok forward to reading more :-D

10. TRADEVA

TRADEVA Make Money Online Very Active Members

Great post so far man.
    Wordpress is really great. Im currently trying out Joomla though, as it has some great free themes (not that i cant get premium tho) and also great forum bridging (so its all integrated and univeral accounts for site + forum).

but wordpress does have some wicked tools.
    ill continue to read / follow this post

11. orson1129

orson1129 Make Money Online

Useful and informative post. I learn a lot from this.
    Thank your for sharing.

12. GauraV

GauraV Make Money Online

Thank your for sharing....great post..i liked the wordpress post..

13. erTank1

erTank1 New Member

thanks ! im going to follow every step, very easy guide ! :D