Making more money by building NICHE WEBSITES

Discussion in 'MMD Personal Journals' started by somesay, Dec 31, 2011.

1. love42013

love42013 New Member

Thank you that helps allot :) Love the name by the way.

2. Niche Samurai

Niche Samurai Very Active Members

Great journal! If you ever wish to collaborate through Skype ect on Niche/Keyword research techniques amongst others, hit me up :) more than willing to help.

3. somesay

somesay Make Money Online

Hey everyone,

this entry really took awhile. Part of the problem is that my notebook broke down... At least there was still warranty on that machine, but you guys know it takes a while to ship it and to get it back...
    However, I'm back now and my numbers are looking good :)

On the way to break even
    Domains and Outsourcing: $191.21 (21 domains so far)
    Income from all Niches: $140.98
    --------------------------------------------
    Left to break even: $50.23

I really like what I see :D Slowly I get the feeling that I start to understand what works and what not. It seems like you just need to develop a feeling for that by trial an error.
    I hope the numbers will keep on going up

4. Niche Samurai

Awesome! Great progress your making, as you have 21 domains, it may be worth running back over them all and optimising there earning potential to see if you can squeeze any more money out of them or any more SEO juice before making any more maybe? As I myself find it gets harder to keep track of the older websites at times especially when fresh ideas are floating in my head.

5. somesay

Thank you :) I've already optimized most of their designs my CTR is between 4-35% thats already pretty good. However, i made some mistakes choosing some niches etc. While doing this journal I also write down all the mistakes I made and what I did right. So when I reach my goal I will be able to tell the whole story what works best and what mistakes I made :) I agree i have a lot of ideas for new niches but I do not have the time to set them up and keeping the older websites active is tough too.

6. Niche Samurai

Just a quick suggestion, why not just flip the websites that you don't feel will meet your goals? then trade them in for new websites with new niches you feel will do better in the long run. This will free up all your time trying to optimise them and instead leave you free to keep growing and learning from your mistakes & optemising the sites you know will go far with the extra funds. I have done this myself, if I feel a niche wont work out, or I don't know what direction to take it in or how to optimise it any more, or monetizing options are slim, then I simply flip it, and use funds to create a new better niched site or simply put it back into existing sites that are earning. This way you continue growing both your funds, and you experience at picking better niches, and you ability to spot them. It also helps because you build up a portfolio of sites you have made and sold making you a more trustworthy seller on sites like Flippa, and obviously will help you financially.
    But like I said just a thought, I know sometimes its hard to let go of a site you have put so many hours into, but at the end of the day, everything has its price & the beauty of it is, there are buyers out there and lots of them.

Might also be worth keeping a record in something like Excel of Each site you own, & the $ Return on hours spent on each site. As if you spending large amounts of time, for little return once the site is established, surely it must be worth looking at something towards selling it, or going in a new direction.

Anyway, good luck to you man, look forward to the next update.

7. somesay

I think to flip the sites might be a good idea, but most sites that don't work for me have only around 5-10 visitors and make only a few cents a week. I do not think anyone will buy a website like that?

I have records of all websites, income, links, outsourced work :) (To use the stereotype, I'm German haha)

I would be really interested in selling those "no-earners" but I don't think someone would buy them?

8. Niche Samurai

There is still a market for these sites as you have done the legwork for them, all you have to do is list them as a potential earner, and focus on more broad selling points of your site, like the niche, and the things people could sell and make money from, look how others sell on Flippa with sites that make $0-$20 a week. Like you said you keep all the records so this will be handy. There is a lot of people looking for starters which are showing potential so simply list it to target that audience, like a sales page, but for your website. Nearly all sellers use this tactic as it works, and offering bonuses like, some keywords and content can help seal the deal.

9. somesay

The Day Build My Rank Died
    This was a crazy week for me I could not do too much for my niche sites because I needed to spend much time on essays etc for school. Whatsoever that was not the worst thing this week... by now everyone should have realized that the blog network Build My Rank shut down. (I won't write went out of business because I'm sure they will come back with a new idea) This means much more planning for me, BMR was one of the main factors of my linkbuilding strategy. Like many others I saw a decrease in ranking in some of my sites. At least now I know what links besides BMR really work well for me.

I finally broke even and I'm starting to make a profit :)

On the way to break even
    Income from all Niches: $211.38
    Left to break even: $20.17

It was about time to see my efforts working out and I'm sure if it keeps going like this I will make pretty good money the nexts months.

WHAT TO DO AFTER BMR?
    Like I said BMR was a big part of my backlinking strategy, but now i need to make some adjustments. I realized how important it really is to diversify linkbuilding. Do not use only one or two types of links! It is not enough to submit your website only to blog networks and social networks! In the future I will create all of the following links: social bookmarks, article submissions, blog postings, web 2.0, rss submissions and File/PDF Sharing. This already worked for two of my sites and I'm sure with a little bit planning will be a great way.

10. Kiyarameru

Kiyarameru Very Active Members

Very nice. Progress is being made. Keep up the good work & don't stop updating! ^)^

~~

11. somesay

Hey everyone,
    this update took me a while because i allowed myself some time off to relax (i still did my linkbuilding etc just no new pages). I love to see my numbers going up pretty well :)

I cut down a little bit on my on page optimization and diversified my linkbuilding (no more article networks)
    The numbers do the better talking:

Income from all Niches: $307.46
    Profit: $116.25

Thats almost $100 from the 23rd till today :)

12. mmonn1906

mmonn1906 New Member

Been following this, your progress is amazing!! Good on you!!

13. thepunter

thepunter New Member

This is a really good thread. Giving me motivatrion plus direction i need. Keep it up buddy.

14. joem04

joem04 New Member

Where do you get your articles from ?

15. somesay

About 90% of my articles are outsourced to odesk and I write the other 10% myself.

16. joem04

joem04 New Member

Thanks nice work on the progress, are you using free sites ? cost seems low for hosting

17. somesay

No I use hostgator and two german hosting websites. With the right package you can keep the costs pretty low. (I buy my domains at different places)

18. hentaihalo

hentaihalo Make Money Online Very Active Members

hi somesay,

any more updates? why stopped on 21st April 2012.

hope i can see some new updates from you.

19. mikewashtm

mikewashtm Member

Hi Somesay, sorry to bump this one up but any updates on this so far yet?

20. xsurgery

xsurgery Member

I'd love to hear some news about how this went aswell. OP? Is this still viable?