Making more money by building NICHE WEBSITES

Discussion in 'MMD Personal Journals' started by somesay, Dec 31, 2011.

1. somesay

somesay Make Money Online

Hey everyone,

I always was very quiet in this Forum, but I’m normally more a reader than a writer. Making money online is not totally new for me. I already have a small passive income of about $450 a month from selling links on my websites. However, I don’t really see that income going up in the short run (next years…). So what I want to do now is to build successful niche websites.

My Method:
    The websites that I build will all have 5-10 articles (400-500 words) and each article costs me around $6 dollar. I hate writing articles and to save time I will outsource at least 80% of them. I use Wordpress for all of my niche websites and try to make the content as user friendly as possible. I believe that content is still king and comes before all linkbuilding etc.

My Goal:
    I want to reach $2,000/month income from the niche websites only.

The Progress:
    So far I have bought 3 keyword rich domains. I wrote 5 articles for one domain and 10 articles for the other 2 domains are ordered. The first website was launched yesterday and I just saw I’m already ranking top 50 for my main keyword.

While waiting for the other articles to be done, I will do more keyword research. I will wait at least 2 weeks with linkbuilding because I believe that’s the right way to go :)

2. somesay

Happy new year!! The second website is now up and running, too. The first website is fully indexed and I'm waiting for the second one to get indexed, too. I'm also waiting for 3 outsourced articles to launch the third website. I hope the second website will be indexed as quickly. I normally just add the website to digg.com and delicious.com and the website gets indexed in a matter of hours. I added three adsense ads to all posts and now I pretty much wait for google to rank me. I think I will start building links on wednesday what do you guys think should I wait a week or two?

3. somesay

A good start into the new year!

All three of my niche pages are launched and indexed now (Good job Google). I'm actually starting to see a little bit of ranking on all three sites. One of the niche sites already had more than 10 visitors today. Thats a pretty good start considering I just launched them (Organic Traffic). I hope I'll see the first Adsense clicks in a matter of days :)

So far I have only done minor things related to backlinks. I added all three websites to digg.com and delicious.com and I submitted one article to two article directories. I'll probably start to set some bookmarks on Wednesday/Thursday.

The ranking so far is very unstable. The pages move up and down almost hourly seems like google drunk a lot new years eve and is still dancing ;-)

4. yoni

yoni Make Money Online Very Active Members

Really interesting journal.. Keep going! Less comments, more results :D

5. nico0016

nico0016 Make Money Online

Very interesting thread!
    I suppose that you choised very low competition niches to already have organic traffic.
    Do you plan to use White/Grey hat techniques for your backlink buildings or Blackhats ones (SeNuke, Magic Submitter, etc...)?

6. somesay

Thanks you two!

Yes, I primarily concentrate on very low competition keywords.
    I can give you the exact numbers for my keywords:

Keyword 1
    Domain: keyword.com
    Exact Local Searches: 7980/mon
    CPC: $1.03
    PR 0 in top 10: 3 sites

Keyword 2
    Domain: key-word.com (like buy-house.com)
    Exact Local Searches: 3540/mon
    CPC: $1.21
    PR 0 in top 10: 4 sites

Keyword 3
    Domain: keyword.com
    Exact Local Searches: 7200/mon
    CPC: $0.88
    PR 0 in top 10: 3 sites

I plan just to use White/Grey hat techniques. My strategy so far will be submitting articles to directories, adding the sites to bookmarking pages and some relevant blog comments. However, I'm thinking about buying a Linkpackage somewhere. Before I do anything related to linkbuilding I will first wait at least a few more days.

7. somesay

Right now, I'm still in the period of waiting. However, the websites rank better every day. I'm already top 5 for the first keyword and top 12 for the third. The second keyword is still a little bit behind. That's okay, the websites are not even a week old yet.

Yesterday, I received my first click and today I got a second click so far (Adsense). I see traffic building up constantly and everything works like a charm right now.

On the way to break even:
    Domains and outsourcing: $80
    Income from three nices: $0.26
    --------------------------------------
    To go to break even: $79.74

Actual goal: $2,000/month from my niche websites only

That's still a pretty long way to go, but we will see :)

I forgot to mention that I made a few changes today. I added an image to each article and used the keywords in the alt-text. I also changed the alignment of my ads I first had an adsense square on the right side below the title and I moved it to the left side now.

8. somesay

Not too much change so far, I made about $0,50. However, the traffic still improves and when I reach a certain amount of traffic I will test different ad-sizes and positions.

9. somesay

Okay it's time for another status update!

Today I will start to build links to my niche sites. The positions of my websites in the SERPS are already improving daily.
    I would say that the changes I made to my designs brought some improvements to the amount of clicks I receive and the time people spend on my website (important after panda).

On the way to break even:
    Domains and outsourcing: $80
    Income from three nices: $4.13
    --------------------------------------
    To go to break even: $75.87

Actual goal: $2,000/month from my niche websites only

Yesterday, I started another niche website and 4 more are on the way. I think it would be stupid to wait until the first three start to make more money. If only one of those websites generates $3/day it's more than worth it ;-) The most important lesson I learned is: DIVERSIFY! If you try to make all your money from only one website and that website gets banned you start from the beginning. I rather have 5 websites earning me $1 a day than 1 website earning $5/day.

I was able to cut some outsourcing costs. I normally paid about $5-6 for a 400 words article, now I found some writers who do the same amount for $3.5 and the quality is amazingly well.

I would love to hear some feedback from you guys :)

10. mihaiherman

mihaiherman New Member

Hi Somesay,

Too bad you didn't got too many replies here, but i think this is a useful thread for newbies and also for "gurus". We all have something to learn from this, especially to not make the same mistakes as you do.

I've currently planned on launching 20-30 websites in 2012, but i don't have those money to invest as you have, that's why i will try to write the articles myself and to spend money only on domains for now. Would be great if you can share some keyword research techniques since this is the thing that kept me from starting something. I HATE that! :)

I also think that you are doing a great job with bookmarking and article submission and i really recommend you to do them manually. I would also recommend to try some press release, just try one and see how it works. Also, for bookmarking i would really recommend you Socialmonkee.com, it will save you a lot of time. I also have a list of about 300 CommentLuv enabled websites, PM me if you want them.

Good luck and keep us updated!
    Mihai

11. keeponrocking

keeponrocking Very Active Members

Great journal, I will be following you, keep on with updates!

How many websites can I have with one adsense account?
    And could you tell us what wordpress themes you're using?

12. ferma231

ferma231 Very Active Members

13. Harrison Nnorom

Harrison Nnorom New Member

good one bro....please keep updating cuz am on the same course as you are...i have seen threads like this being dumped wouldnt like that to happen here...thanks though...

14. somesay

Thank you guys! Your feedback helps me to actually decide what to talk about :)

20-30 websites is a very good goal. If you like to write the articles that is a good thing to do at the beginning. I just realized that the thing that really holds me back is writing so much. I'm not a big fan of writing articles to (most of the time) uninteresting topics. So if I would have to write all of them myself, I would probably stop again after 2 websites... If you really think about it, it is not that much money. You could start by saying I will outsource 50% of the websites.

For my keyword research I use Market Samurai (the trial is a very good start). To find ideas for keywords i normally start by looking around me. There are so many things in your room that would be awesome keywords :) I also use article directories and put them into SEMrush. For example if you put amazon.com into SEMrush you can find out that they rank on position 1 in google for "bed frames". Most of the times it is very easy to outrank those directories, so you get the idea.

I now only go after keywords that have the following conditions:
    - at least 3000 local exact searches
    - a CPC of at least $0.80
    - at least 2 PR 0 websites in top 10
    - at least 3 sites with 0 backlinks in top 10
    - at least 2 websites with not the exact keyword in title in top 10
    - at most one exact keyword domain in top 20

Thanks for the hint I will look into socialmonkee later, sounds really good :)

I do not have an exact number and I don't think there is one. I have about 20 websites so far in my adsense account but I heard of people with more than 100.

The theme is not as important as people expect it to be. I just use the wordpress theme search to find one that looks nice for the topic I write about. Never use only one theme or certain adsense themes. If google bans 5 of your sites that have the same theme the chance is big they will ban the others with that theme too.

Themes I use:
    - YB-light
    - Dot-B
    - Weaver
    - White as milk

I have never used ClickBank and for now I won't use it :) I will only stick with adsense and whenever I get enough traffic I will think about adding links to amazon. In my opinion there are way to many people that go after ClickBank products. Adsense lets you make money with everything, ClickBank just with certain products.

Thank you very much for the feedback!!

15. keeponrocking

keeponrocking Very Active Members

Do you target one keyword per article? So you target 5-10 keywords per website or am I missing smth?

16. cannman150

cannman150 Very Active Members

Subscribing to this thread so I can read the updates =)

17. somesay

Normaly, I choose only one keyword per site. Lets say the main keyword is "home cinema" then i write a main article about that keyword and make it sticky in my blog . The other articles will be like "brand home cinema cheap", "cinema vs tv at home" so they are related but not specific. try to give urn users some value not just keywords

send by my phone

18. metrod

metrod Very Active Members

Keep it going. Don't get hung up on how much/little money you make per day. The goal is progress. And, every day or week you will learn something new that will help you down the line.
    Keep us posted.

19. voiceofthepatriot

voiceofthepatriot Make Money Online Very Active Members

Silly question--How do you submit a website to digg? I was on the site and I saw where you can add a link but is that where you put your website link? Or is that where you place the url to your article or what? Thanks for the help.

20. outbackjoe

outbackjoe Make Money Online Very Active Members

good job, why not try and find some relevant authority sites you can submit articles too... if your article is good enough then instant traffic, rather than waiting for organic traffic. rinse and repeat
    cheers