Content Locking Movie Site- First time IM campaign

Discussion in 'MMD Personal Journals' started by Kush, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Kush

Kush Make Money Online Very Active Members

Alright this is my first official Internet Marketing venture. I have been researching and planning for a while now, and finally decided to ACT. I am 16 years old (17 in a week :cool:), got my first part time job at a yogurt shop last month, just opened up my first bank account yesterday, deposited a few paychecks, and got a debit card.

The very first purchase I made was a GoDaddy domain for a movie site, and as I am writing this I am about to purchase hosting through Host Gator for my site.

^^^UPDATE ^^^
    If you have been keeping up with the journal, you will see that I have had some problems with Hostgator/ GoDaddy due to the fact that I sort of went into this venture a bit headstrong.
    But, that is fixed now and I have canceled/ refunded my Hostgator account, and created a new domain through the offshore host "Alibaba host" in the Netherlands.

Thanks to recommendations of several members who posted on this thread, I looked into offshore hosting for my site, and realized that they were indeed right, and that if I stuck with US hosting, my site would almost surely be taken down in the near future.
    I would like to thank those who gave me this advice, as you probably saved me a lot of future headaches!

I read Toxtom's guide on this forum and decided that this was a great way for me to start out. I had previously been planning to start a few niche sites, but decided that this would be a great project to work on while I did keyword/ niche research, and also would give me a site that I could use to later gain acceptance to the good CPA networks (as long as this site is successful).

I have applied to and am currently waiting to get accepted by BlamAd's, StuckAds, and LeadBolt.

I will also be looking into incentivized offers, where the advertiser pays a small amount of money (usually a dollar or two) for a customer completing an offer. In my opinion these will aid in conversion rates, as people would be more likely to complete an offer if they will get paid. I would like some feedback in regards to incentivized vs. non incentivized offers.

All of my current goals and stats will be up-to-date on this first post, so you won't have to go clicking through pages to find my current stats :D

My Short Term Goals For Now (will update this list from time to time):
    1. Buy hosting through host gator
    2. Set up a clean, inviting wordpress- based movie site
    3. Submit refund request to Hostgator and switch to offshore hosting (Alibaba Host)
    4. Submit to Google index
    5. Add movies through embed scripts (Toxtom's guide suggested novamov). Each post will be a different movie.
    6. Write articles for the movies that are keyword rich for Google searches relating to those movies.
    7. Once I have about 10 movies posted, I will begin advertising through facebook (again using Toxtom's method of autoclick- liking my facebook post with my site link)
    8. Begin content locking. I would like to set it up to show low quality for free, and higher qualities will be content locked.
    9. Once I have accomplished these, I will also look into other advertisement methods (Twitter, youtube, possibly offline flyers).

My Internet Marketing knowledge and skillset include:
    • SEO with Google's updated Penguin
    • Social Media Marketing
    • Marketing and Packaging (Making things look clean, friendly, and attractive)
    • How to set up wordpress sites
    • Photoshop

I do not know html, scripting, or any C languages, so I will be sticking to wordpress and using my cpa networks content lockers as opposed to creating my own (at least for now anyway).

Here are my long- term goals for income (Green= complete; Red=uncomplete)
    1. Make my first dollar online ;)!
    2. Make $5 in a day
    3. Make $10 in a day
    4. Make $20 in a day
    5. Make $50 in a day
    6. Buy my own car with around $2,500-$3,000 later on this year.

I will be regularly updating my journal as it will help me keep track of what I have done and need to do, and it will hopefully motivate me to stay on track if I lose focus. I greatly appreciate any feedback and advice that you have to give!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. Kush

Now I am getting irritated....
    I purchased Hostgator and installed wordpress.
    I go to my wordpress admin login url and instead of giving me my wordpress login page, it just gives me the godaddy page.

Can somebody please help me out here?

3. Kush

Now I am getting irritated....
    I purchased Hostgator and installed wordpress.
    I go to my wordpress admin login url and instead of giving me my wordpress login page, it just gives me the godaddy page.

Can somebody please help me out here?

EDIT:
    Ok, I called Hostgator and they told me my problem was that I needed to change the GoDaddy nameservers to hostgator nameservers. I just updated the nameservers, and was informed that changes usually take a few hours to process, so I will check back later today.

4. Bizzoyce

Bizzoyce ADMINISTRATOR

Hey there, Great to see you making a journal and look forward to reading your progress. Did you log into your godaddy account and add the Nameservers to your hosting.

Also, start building a twitter following now and you could also start a fan page as well and start building a following

Let us know how you make out. Best of luck

5. Kush

Ok so slight bump in the road again. I went to check on my sites progress, and Hostgator had emailed me to say my site may be in violation of the terms of service even though I have done nothing besides install wordpress onto it.
    So I called them up, and they said they just needed to verify my account- which went smoothly. Then the lady started asking me what my site content was going to be, to which I replied that it was going to be embedded movie clips. She said that was fine as long as I didn't have full length movies on there. I didn't ask her because I didn't want her probing any more, but I don't understand why I couldn't have full length movies.

That leads me to another question.
    When embeding the movie codes into my site, will they be full length movies? Or am I really just BSing site visitors with a fake image/ empty video clip?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  6. Kush

Update on previous problem:

I figured it out. All it took was for me to take a break from the computer and let myself rest a bit haha. I will just embed a simple movie clip preview, make sure visitors can see it from behind the content locker, so they will be willing to fill out my offer with temptation in their sight.

And technically I'm not lying to them. I'm telling them they get to watch something, not specifying how much of something they'll get to watch. Now I won't get into trouble with host gator, and won't feel like a lying bastard myself :elefant:

7. Elvis

Elvis New Member

the reason you might have asked you was because most likely you don't have copyrights to the movies on your site. but its ok to have trailers and snippets of the movies since most of the time the producer or studios give out their trailers to get people exicted about upcoming flicks.

as for embedding your movies, that all depends on what movies your are embedding. if they are just trailer/teaser than yes bit if they are full length then by all means they will be full clips!

hope that clarifies it a bit for you, i am also proud you decide to take a part time job till you get your IM careers in full gear, smartest thing anyone can do!

elvis

8. SWIFFJUSTUS

SWIFFJUSTUS ⓿The Mad Methodologist⓿⎠ Elite VIP Member

@but I don't understand why I couldn't have full length movies.

Hi There Kush and welcome to The show... Although My Fellow Comrade Elvis Pretty much addressed your Concerns I thought I'd Chime In Just In case You're still Having some Clarity Issues....
    Now while it is a Fact That what Your Are attempting to Do Has and is still being done In IM and some have been Paid
    Quite Handsomely Doing it ..With That Said.

IT IS Actually ILLEGAL
    TO USE COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE SAID AUTHOR OF SUCH MATERIALS ESPECIALLY FOR MONETARY REWARDS.

Now I'm not Gonna sit Here and Preach what's right or Wrong
    Ethical or Unethical when it Comes Tu Running a IM Campaign, I should be The Last to Do so-lol but I will Simply Further Provide you With some Info. and You Have to Decide How to Proceed henceforth.

===================================================

Why it is Ok In Some cases to Use trailers:

United States Federal Law allows citizens to reproduce, distribute, or exhibit portions of copyrighted motion pictures, video tapes, or video discs under certain circumstances without the authorization of the copyright holder. This infringement of copyright is called “Fair Use” and is allowed for purposes of criticism, news reporting, teaching and parody.

Why you May get yourself in Trouble for Using FULL MOVIES:

The Federal Copyright Act (Title 17 of the U.S. Code) governs how copyrighted materials, such as movies, may be used. Neither the rental nor the purchase of a movie carries with it the right to show the movie publicly outside the home, unless the site where the movie is used is properly licensed for public exhibition.

Ownership of the movie and the right to use it publicly are two separate issues. The copyright holder retains exclusive public performance rights.

Here's An Alternative:

Public Domain Movies....

Public Domain refers to the body of creative works and knowledge in which no person, government or organization has any proprietary interest such as a copyright. These works are considered part of the public cultural heritage and may be freely used by all.

Done With That... Let Me also as Elvis SO ELOQUENTLY Stated Say that It is Very commendably That You Have Clear and Stated GOALS Plus You've made the wise Choice to have/keep a Part time Job Until you Can MAKE YOUR BONES In this IM Game...
    Good Luck My Young Comrade and If you Have In further questions are Concerns Fell free Drop Them In the Giant Help Box that Is the MMD COMMUNITY .

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  9. Kush

Thanks for the great feedback Elvis and Marvel! I'm pretty set on doing a site mainly with short clips, previews, etc, and some movie reviews. I'll make it look legit and professional. I can probably make some of the clips myself in movie maker. And the lady from Hostgator said it was perfectly fine to embed short clips, so I'm clear in that area.

So everything is cleared up, and I am now able to login as the wordpress admin to my site. I will be working on designing it tonight and tomorrow. I plan to make it myself as opposed to downloading a common theme. I have an eye for detail and plus I like to design things, so I think that I could do a better job, and have a more successful site by doing it myself- well worth an extra hour or two.

The great thing about my part time job is that there are periods when we are really dead, and then periods when we are extremely busy. So there will literally be intervals of an hour or two between getting a single customer. As well as this, everybody at work (including the managers) are really laid back, and are perfectly okay with bringing laptops, phones, homework etc. to work.
    This means I can bring my laptop into work and do IM during those long periods :cool:.
    All while eating all the free frozen yogurt I want....

I'm pretty confident on getting accepted to LeadBolt. I applied earlier on today and got accepted within an hour. However, I accidently applied as an advertiser instead of a publisher, so I need to re-apply tonight as a publisher.
    Still waiting on StickyAds and BlamAds though.

So far I have spent $7.13 for a .org domain, $0.73 round-up donation to a charity in Haiti, and spent $66 for a year of HostGator's hatchling hosting plan which allows one domain to be hosted only. I will consider upgrading my hosting in the near future as my plans for a couple niche sites become more defined.
    This brings my grand spending total up to $74. To break even I must make this much in a year- hopefully I should have no problem doing that.

10. Kush

I didn't get a whole lot of work done today as it was July 4th (American Independence Day for those not in the US), but I did spend a little time with photoshop and made myself a nice looking header and background and upload it to my site, as well as create a welcome page.
    I have work tomorrow, so probably won't get a whole lot done then either, but any progress is good progress in my opinion.

11. Smeltzer

Smeltzer The World is Mine Very Active Members

You said it Kush any progress is good progress. Just do not fall short of your goals. Even on days in which you work still try to @ least set aside a few moments to accomplish something. I know working and doing IM is hard but eventually you will not have to work and eventually IM will be your life. So keep up the good work man and never lose site of your target.

12. Kush

Completely agree with you Smeltzer!
    My goal for today is to set up the various pages of my site. I'm going to have a section that is going to be mainly for movie reviews and information, and then a section that is going to be mainly for previews/ clips.

The reviews and information section will hopefully add to the legitimacy and actual relevance of the site, as well as attracting visitors on the basis that I actually have some useful information, and am not just using them to complete offers.

The previews and clips section is going to be mainly where I do my content locking. I will content lock the longer clips mainly. I actually just sparked an idea in my head for the content locking. I can create a youtube account and title the videos something like "Dark Knight Rises part 1 of 2" or whatever, but actually just load an image that looks like an imitation of Youtube's "video removed for copywrite violation" message.
    This will make it look like I actually had the movie, and it was taken down. It won't seem so much like I am trying to scam my visitors.

Of course I will intersperse this with actual clips, so nobody get's suspicious.

And Bam! Thought of another great idea. I can show clips, and then under the clip, provide a link to a quality torrent of that movie (something without viruses, that has good seed rate, etc). I can give the clip, and then say something under the video like "to finish watching download here...."
    I could also check to see about Netflix's affiliate program, and if the movie happens to be on netflix instant, I could state that and provide a link to netflix's free 1-month trial. I could get some decent cpa conversions from this.

Now you may think that I am going out of my way to make my site look legitimate and all, and question why I don't just do it blackhat and provide all fake videos. The answer is that I want to satisfy visitors, hopefully enough so that they will come back, and knowing that I deliver some actual content, be willing to fill out the content lock offers.
    I also dislike completely ripping people off, and while I understand that a bit of that is necessary to succeed in IM, I don't want to make that my primary method of conversions.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  13. SWIFFJUSTUS

SWIFFJUSTUS ⓿The Mad Methodologist⓿⎠ Elite VIP Member

Kush and whomever else reads that post.... my Friends Those are words to GROW from...Great Advice Smeltz.

14. darkaneudy

darkaneudy Make Money Online

A short for you...You Need get a Offshore Hosting

15. Kush

I know that I would need this if I were going to be posting full length movies, but I don't plan on doing that. I just plan on showing short clips/ previews that include a link to a quality torrent of that movie on pirate bay, kick ass torrents, etc.

16. Standard

Standard Very Active Members

Good luck and all the best to you movie sites can be very lucrative.

17. Buggz

Buggz Elite VIP Member

Hi Kush,
    Not trying to discourage you or anything , just to save you some time since I have been on the exact road that you are going on. I had set up a movie site, on an offshore hosting, and tried a lot of content lockers to monetize a good amount of daily clicks.
    The result was pathetic , very bad conversion rate, I only got 10 dollars in a whole month ( Though I was still happy since it was my first 10 bucks ) .
    Then I wanted to use that site to get into more whitehat cpa networks, didn't work also :/ some guy told me I'm better off with a free blog and a domain redirect than a freemovies kinda site.
    I'm not saying you should stop everything , it didn't work for me but it could work for you, I'm sure some people are still making money with this .
    But just take this into account before you start spending your whole bankroll : This is a pretty high competition level niche , and the content locking method is not that great either , I think the average Joe got the trick by now.

Thanks for reading. Good luck on your journey , I subscribed.

18. CertifiedExpert

CertifiedExpert New Member

Hi Kush

Even IF you are not streaming or only providing links it will be against TOS... you cnt DO such work with ON Shore.

If your content gets Watch Movie Name anywhere. it will be Illegal. So, You should do it with Offshore.. Its for your betterment from all part..

19. CertifiedExpert

CertifiedExpert New Member

It does work.... You need test it out again. You might did it wrong.. Conversion and EPC can be high..

Just do it Correctly. :)

20. oneanarata

oneanarata New Member

what is the best offer or network that provide it ..??
    any recomendation ..??

Could your movie site linked with IMD ..??
    Forgive me if is it the stupid question
    Thanks