What means grey hat SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization and Marketing (SEO/SEM)' started by sumonht1990, May 1, 2012.

1. sumonht1990

sumonht1990 New Member

It's new to me. I think it means a mixed technique combining white hat and black hat SEO. Probably I am right, aren't I?
  2. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Make Money Online

Grey Hat SEO is the kind of SEO which sits between White Hat SEO (ethical ) and Black Hat SEO (unethical)...Kinda abused white-hat techniques. It’s not unethical in totality, but yes, it is bad and thus discouraged.

Google may either deindex your website or push you down in search results. Common examples of Gray hat include link buying, link-wheeling, automated social media followers etc.
  3. merryscanlan

merryscanlan New Member

In simple and easy way the combination of white hat SEO and black hat SEO called Grey Hat SEO. When you are doing white hat SEO and after that doing black hat SEO simultaneously is called Grey hat SEO.
  4. sumonht1990

sumonht1990 New Member

So Should I not go to grey hat SEO ?
  5. ImAdmirer

ImAdmirer Very Active Members

Think logically, why do we build links knowing that it is grey hat or black hat whatever it might be?

We build links to make our website popular in the eyes of Google to improve our ranking and outsmart our competitors. This is common, and all the top SEO theories, backlink recipes, etc are based on this concept.

Are you able to provide content/media which goes viral in a short time without building a single link? No one can, except the brands and the authorities and the daily news makers in a given niche. (Of course you can, but it is rare unless you have a top notch product/service/news).

Even the top players in a niche need to build links many times. So there's nothing wrong in building links to our own websites, whitehat or greyhat or whatever you call it, as long as you don't sound unnatural in the eyes of Google.
  6. Smeltzer

Smeltzer The World is Mine ADMINISTRATOR

TBH in the eyes of Google there is no such thing as "grey hat". There is blackhat and then there is white hat. Nothing more. You can butter it up and call it grey hat if it helps you to sleep though yet it is still blackhat.
  7. TMercT

TMercT New Member

To google there is no such thing as grey hat, but in technical terms its when both white hat and black hat methods are implemented.
  8. anthonyp

anthonyp New Member

I agree here there is no such thing as greyhat atleast in SEO but in affiliate marketing there is a thing called greyhat.
  9. B. Friendly

B. Friendly New Member

"greyhat" simply refers to backlinking techniques which are "borderline" blackhat -
    it's not a mix of black and white, but rather a subtle interpretation of the difference between black and white.

Google does consider some things to be in a grey area - not everything can be 100% white or black - for example:
    * buying facebook likes would be obviously blackhat
    * getting natural facebook likes from happy readers would be obviously whitehat
    * getting incentivized facebook likes by offering something in exchange for a like is a little grey (it's not quite buying links, but it kinda is)

Some webmasters would consider incentives to be whitehat, others would consider it blackhat, but most would consider it to be in a sort of "grey area" that is open to interpretation (and maybe depends on how aggresive you are in your tactics).
  10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith New Member

Grey hat Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is the combination of both black hat SEO and white hat SEO techniques. This means that often a grey hat SEO approach combines both ethical and unethical SEO tactics. A grey hat SEO approach contains less risk of being penalised by Google than black hat SEO techniques but is not as favourable as white hat SEO.
  11. backlinkservices

backlinkservices New Member

I like your answer.. I actually dont know grey hat too. now I have a knowledge what grey hat is.
  12. Josh Jocky

Josh Jocky New Member

You're right.. it stays after the white hat and before the black hat.
  13. droneman

droneman New Member

I would suggest building quality white hat backlinks because with the newest Google updates, they are really going hard and penelizing websites with blackhat SEO.
  14. Meta

Meta Very Active Members

use both white hat and black hat means grey hat....
  15. kristenmart

kristenmart New Member

Hello,
    Yes you are absolute right...grey hat seo is a Combination of White & Black hat seo....but the Google will not encourage this grey hat technique..They will encourage only Pure White Hat techniques..but most of the people following this Grey Hat Seo...that's why sometimes they penalized from Google..
  16. martinsherman

martinsherman New Member

Gray Hat technique in SEO is take more risks than white hat SEO techniques.They're questionable SEO techniques but not in the same category as black hat SEO techniques. However, what's considered gray hat SEO today might be black hat SEO next year. They are not likely to get your site banned from search engines.
  17. ynmrav28

ynmrav28 New Member

Mix of white hat and blackhat to some extent is grey hat.Greay hat and blackhat is very less now a days.After penguin update every body is not taking risk,they are doing only whitehat
  18. CashCleaner

CashCleaner SUPER MODERATOR

In my opinion there is no such thing as grey hat.
    You are either white hat (using moral methods) or black hat (using immoral methods for your gain)
  19. seoxoom

seoxoom New Member

SEO using both Black Hat and White Hat techniques.
  20. carvermediagroup

carvermediagroup New Member

Gray hat SEO techniques has not banned, but they come pretty close to the line. Examples include paid and attaches. Link building or excessive use of keywords does not fully meet the threshold of ********