With the significance of mobile continuing to grow, advertisers are quickly trying to supplement their marketing strategies with new mobile ad techniques in order to grow their brand, and ultimately, their revenues. However, while mobile stats seem to demonstrate that the channel is taking off, there are well-documented challenges that come with advertising in the mobile space. One of the areas that many publishers and advertisers seem to be focusing on when it comes to mobile is media buying, an aspect that can be an integral part of a successful mobile ad strategy. So, to cater to those looking to do media buying on mobile, here are five tips to help you with your next mobile media buying campaign.
- The Banner Is Not The Answer—While banner ads can work wonders online, in mobile, they don’t always convert how you want them to. In fact, many times standard 320×50 banners experience accidental clicks which translates to low conversion rates. To avoid this, look for other types of ads such as full page, rich media, interstitials, or special format—these will probably yield better results via mobile.
- Compatibility On Mobile—When selecting an offer, pay close attention to whether or not it’s mobile compatible. Use an actual mobile device to look at how the ad will appear on a users phone—an offer’s success is largely based on its appearance. Also, make sure that the ad loads quickly, opens to the optimal size, and makes it easy to follow the call to action or enter information.
- Segment Your Campaign—Different types of media will drive different types of results, and when it comes to mobile, there are thousands of possibilities for advertising. In order to yield the best results, make sure that you are segmenting your campaign based on four different criteria: App or Site, Operating System, Carrier, and Device. Things like where your offer will run (app or mobile-ready site), whether it’s iOS or Android, AT&T or Verizon, and the type of device all factor into how well your campaign does. Make sure that you account for all of these different variables and plan your media buy accordingly.
- Abide By The PCD Rule—Publisher, Carrier, Device; this tip is somewhat similar to the previous one, however, it’s the most important aspects of your campaign when it comes to optimizing. Know the offer inside and out, know what carrier it’s been created for, and know what devices it will show up on. Understanding the details of each of these will help you immensely when it comes to optimizing your campaign.
- Less Is More—It may seem obvious, however, some people tend to avoid low paying offers, so, keep in mind that a lower payout typically correlates to higher conversion rates and better success. Don’t avoid low paying campaigns—embrace them, collect as much data as you can from them, and use it to optimize and scale your campaign.
While this list certainly isn’t an all-inclusive, silver bullet for mobile media buying, it should still help you make good decisions when it comes to your next mobile ad campaign. If you have other tips for mobile media buying that you would like to share, make sure to let us hear them in the comments.