Backlinks question

spids

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
My site is around 4 months old, I did a lot of backlinking and after 1 month had around 150 backlinks.I have been backlinking constantly since but it rarely changes and now its at 126 backlinks which I know for a fact I got that many in a single day. Is this normal? What the hell is happening? when I do a search "links:mysite.com" I get over 100,000 results which is also very odd (not complaining though
. I have used quite a few trusted backlinking checker tools that I've always used but it's roughly the same result. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

anyhat

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
If alot of your links are from forum profiles and signatures they may not get indexed without some extra work on your part. Also some of your links may get deleted.
Even if the links are indexed it will take time for them to show up.
Most of the baclink check tools I have used seem to show pretty much the same result as yahoo site explorer. So I assume they mostly get their data from there.

spids

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
Thanks, but its very odd that backlinks stopped appearing after first month. Also I put all my links into an rss feed, ping that and ping most backlinks too

amansi

Make Money Online
If alot of your links are from forum profiles and signatures they may not get indexed without some extra work on your part. Also some of your links may get deleted.
Which extra work is needed when the purpose of backlinking is to rank higher in search? How can one know when his links are deleted?

spids

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
Which extra work is needed when the purpose of backlinking is to rank higher in search? How can one know when his links are deleted?

Dont worry about the ones that wil be deleted. Do enough backlinking and u wont have to worry about it. Hubpages etc will delete your article if theres spam (link) in it.

jeppo

Make Money Online
Sometimes backlinks can take a while to show up, and sometimes aren't reported at all. They can also vary from day to day how many are reported. Don't worry so much about how many are being reported, focus on whether the backlinking is improving your rankings. If you're steadily moving up, or at the top, then it doesn't matter how many links they say you have.

weblink

Make Money Online
Sometimes backlinks can take a while to show up, and sometimes aren't reported at all. They can also vary from day to day how many are reported. Don't worry so much about how many are being reported, focus on whether the backlinking is improving your rankings. If you're steadily moving up, or at the top, then it doesn't matter how many links they say you have.
agree to it, focus up on your ranking.

kickass

Make Money Online
I think jeppo is right to suggest focusing more on results. I too used to fret about what my backlink checkers told me then one day I threw up a free site, spewed a few hundred angry words about a site I was mad at & with just One backlink to it, found myself on page one above the fold for months.

Content really can beat backlinks sometimes I guess.

Griffon

Weiter Weiter
I just stick to YSE when checking backlinks. Don't rely on link:domain.com through google, it's never accurate. If you have google webmasters installed for the website then it should give you a much better estimate for the number of backlinks found.

anyhat

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
The extra work is only needed to get your backlinks indexed. If your backlink is not indexed it will not count toward giving juice to your site to help it rank better.
As Spids said you shouldn't worry about links that get deleted.
I don't worry about getting blog comments indexed cause I figure the next spammer behind me will do the work for me. But forum profile links and even web 2.0 properties do require a little work.
Bookmarking, pinging, and submitting rss feed will help in getting backlinks indexed.

rebellord

Make Money Online
There are some sites where you can set up links as an rss feed. I have found submitting all my links to the rss search engines as a feed gets them indexed fast. If I spam forum profile links, about half of them die fairly quick, the others tend to last forever. Well worth the effort most of the time.

zoreander

Make Money Online
I just stick to YSE when checking backlinks
YSE is slow, shows not existing expired a long time ago links and nofollow links and Yahoo don't give traffic in most of countries Therefore it's blocked by robots.txt. It's not good idea to trust YSE.