Local Search Domination Part I - Understanding The Place Page

Fade

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
Reaction score
Local Search Domination Part I - Understanding The Place Page

Local search is changing the way people find businesses near their location. Many of you have probably noticed you can now type in "Dentist" and get local search results coming up above the normal SERPS. You can also target areas outside of your city simply by putting a location in front of or behind your search term. For example:

View attachment 248

In this picture I ran a search for "New York Dentist" and those are the results that came up. Do you see how these local results come up above the normal search? That is because they are more relevant to my search term than the normal results.

Luckily, most of the competition for now is local businesses. Luckily, most local business owners do not have a clue as to why their ranking or how to get onto the "7 Pack."

I should say now that the "7 Pack" is the 7 local search results that come up in most cities for most search terms. Sometimes you will see what's called a "One Box" this means that one particular business is so relevant that it will be the only local search result. You can see an example of a One Box by going to Google and entering the search term:

"manhattan bridge orthodontics"

Moving on, today we are going to take a look at the "Place Page" - the place page is a page that gives a user all the information about your business. You can see a place page by entering in a search term and clicking on either "More" or "X Reviews."

The place page is your most important tool when it comes to local search. You can have mint on-page optimization, loads of relevant citations (we will get to these later) and a ton of reviews but if your place page is not optimized correctly then you will never rank.

Okay let's take it from top to bottom and go over the place page.

The first thing you will see at the top of the place page is the name of the business and the address along with the phone number. It is important to know that this address must be IDENTICAL across the web. Everywhere this address is listed it should be the exact same, and in the exact same format. This goes for your business name and phone number as well. You may include a keyword in your business name but try not to make it an exact keyword. Instead of using "New York Dentist" try something such as "New York Dentist Pros."

Underneath your name and address you find the categories and hours and description. Again, these should be the exact same throughout the web. Keep everything the exact same - even your description. Your categories must not exceed 5. Category ******** is not a smart idea. Also, including too many local keywords in your categories such as "new york dentist" "dentist in new york" and so on is a bad idea.

Details is up next. You will want to add in at least 2 fields for your details, this will help make your listing 100% complete.

Photos and videos. You will want to add at least one video, but you don't need to have all 5. However, for the photos you will want to have 10 photos. Make sure these photos are unique. You can download GIMP and resize the photos if you take them off the web. This will clear out the old exif data.

Reviews is up next and that one is pretty self explanatory. I will talk about getting reviews in another thread. This is all about the place page.

Citations. The "More About This Place" section:

citations.jpg

Citations are the backlinks of local search. Basically a citation is when another website talks about your business. They do not have to link to your website, however, they have to put in your business name, address, and phone number - and this needs to be the exact same as the name, address, and number on your Google Places listing. In another thread I will cover how and where to get these.

User Content.

View attachment 250

User content generally consists of people saving your business to their maps. It can also include geotargeted photos and videos. In another thread I will go over how to get all of these.

This is a basic overview of the Place Page. That's all for today. Go and try some searches out and get a feel for the Place Page. Look at some citations and user maps. Part II is coming soon.

federale

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
Reaction score
Thanks this is great info. I was just looking into this, this week. My question is I do not have a brick and mortar business to advertise. I would like to get a site ranked there in local results so I could either sale advertising space ie Dentists in New york, or capture leads and sell them that way. I was wondering if you or anyone has been able to rank using a not so legitimate address (Po Box, fake) and voip or similar number to get into those ranks?

Fade

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
Reaction score
Short answer to your question yes. You can rank VOIP numbers with PO boxes all the way up to the top.

Look at this guy:

Code:
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=new+york+psychic&fb=1&gl=us&hq=psychic&hnear=New+York,+NY&cid=3965210336835762218&ei=gaOCTOu8BJPUngeJlM39AQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CCsQnQIwBQ
Now look at his address in Google Maps:

Code:
342 BROADWAY, NEW YORK
See all the businesses listed?

That guy is in the 7 Pack for "new york psychic"

Hope that answers your question. I'll cover all this at a later date.

-Fade

awatm

Make Money Online
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing such nice information. its great thing to get trusty customers from Big G.

testoman

Make Money Online
Reaction score
excellent post will use this for sure.

ken1908

Make Money Online
Reaction score
Continue please

Hello Fade,
We're waiting for Part II.

roomp3

Make Money Online