Sitting down is killing you. How not to die.

sweetlikehoney

Make Money Online
:lollypop:So I'm sure everyone has been reading all the articles about how sitting down is extremely bad for your health. As internet marketers we are very much at risk. Also its my theory that sitting down flattens out your butt making it less attractive. That's not been proven by science yet that I know of though. So if you work at an office it's easy to get up and walk around . Cmon if I was in an office they'd need to handcuff me to my chair to keep me from finding ways to do anything in the world but work. But when you work as your own boss all of that changes and you find yourself working too many hours, too many days and even sneaking away from family on holidays to rake in the big holiday cash. To avoid sitting too much I experimented with a few things. I elevated my pc monitor and keyboard so I could use it while standing. I did that by stacking books. Wasn't too pretty. So I got a laptop. I was going to get one anyways. Thats much easier to put on a stack of books or on the kitchen island to stand to work. Then I found a program called Breaker. It's free and easy to use. It allows you to set a break schedule and run it on a loop. So I programmed mines to alternate between 10 and 15 minute breaks every hour. The goal is to sit for a combined time of less than 6 hours a day. So during the break you can get up and stretch, walk around, jog in place or just stand to work. I use the break times to get chores I hate out the way- dishes, vacuuming, laundry... My house has never been cleaner. lol. :cheers: heres to a healthier new year! Whats the point in being rich if you're dead or sick and all your money goes to the doctors?

I am all day long sitting down. I wake up and I check my email in my iPhone while my 3 computers boot up. Then I eat breakfast, launch, dinner in front of the computer at times I crash on my keyboard at 4 am because I am still here sitting in front of my computers working. At the end of the day money-wise is worth it as I can see the profits but yeah with time your health might get screwed. My wife drags me out at times to do some shoping or paying bills and stuff but I always rush things so I can be back home on my chair working my butt off.

I need to change that. I might start working by hours and be strict with it. Lets see how it goes (it will not be easy being doing the same routine for years)

hey man... read up on some health articles... take 5 minute breaks every 30 minutes, eat well, move around in those 5 minute breaks, excersize a bit, eat tons of flax seed oil or powder (for omega 3, 6, 9), breathe deeply and dont eat any sugar or white flower products..... this alone helps me do 17 hour days... and I feel fine. Im actually losing weight and feel energetic always... hope this humble suggestions help!

sweetlikehoney

Make Money Online
:ridinghorse: yes its true, its the frequent breaks that are the key. just the act of sitting alone causes changes in your body. the musces in your legs stop firing almost immediately, your calorie burning drops down to 1 per minute and extended sitting leads to cardiovascular disease, diabetes and some cancers. The negative effects of sitting can NOT be erased by working out . You cant sit 16 hours a day and think if you job 3 hours on the weekend it will help. Studies prove it doesnt matter how active you are outside of the sedentary periods. You need to take frequent breaks every 30 minutes, every hour, however you wish to do it and stand up.

manolo12399

Make Money Online
yes, I really believe what are u saying, I spent last 6 years, sitting down working, and my back is f..., and I train semi professionaly 6 days a week, now as I write I am standing up, and stop often, one think that helped me a lot, is put the pc with a window behind, I am on the ground floor, so I can see people pasing by etc, that eliminated pain on my neck, a software that I use is f.lux, that adjust the colour of your screen, during the day, my eyes are 100% better now.

I hope my back get better, and that I will not need surgery.

Last edited:

Diji1

Seriously?

Basically what this is a BS PR campaign. Some "health nazi " group noticed that people are sitting down a lot and not in good health. Some people are on a mission because they think they know how everyone else should live their life (ie like them).

So they work out that say 1 in 10,000 people may be dying due to sitting down to much. I stress may. However this sounds ridiculous and people just ignore it.

The way to make people take notice is invent something really scary and associate it with something really scary - in this case its "sitting down is killing as many people as smoking"... OMG THAT'S TERRIBLE says everyone.

I challenge anyone to explain why people are loving longer than ever before whilst simultaneously living the laziest lifestyle in human history. Or find peer reviewed studies that are more than 1 or 2 in number.

BTW typing this on exercise bike after an hours workout at gym.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

sweetlikehoney

Make Money Online
:hmmmm2: so you think countless studies and years of research in several countries have been faked to rank a google page? people may be living longer but they're doing it with a ton of medications.. Did somebody make that up to rank on google? Is there anything in the world thats not some page ranking ploy? You're prolly wearing a foil hat and living in an underground bunker with -trust no one- spray painted on your walls.

Diji1

:hmmmm2: so you think countless studies and years of research in several countries have been faked to rank a google page? people may be living longer but they're doing it with a ton of medications.. Did somebody make that up to rank on google? Is there anything in the world thats not some page ranking ploy? You're prolly wearing a foil hat and living in an underground bunker with -trust no one- spray painted on your walls.
You seem a bit confused about how the world of advertising and public relations works dear. You don't grab people's attention and change behaviours by telling people the truth unless the truth is catastrophic.

And then somehow you got onto SE ranking and accused me of being a conspiracy theorist on your own. Which if you knew me in real life you might find kid of ironic considering the website I run but anyhow. The you correlate living longer to increased drug use - wait, are you saying we're taking drugs so we can sit down longer now? Because 50 years ago we we're all doing a hell of a lot more activity as a population but still we died a lot earlier.

But please go ahead and provide us with some studies that specifically link sitting down with early death - I don't want you to wiggle out of this: specifically sitting down. Seeing as the number is so large that it's "countless" it shouldn't be too hard to find. It also makes for great headlines that gets eyes onto screens and paper but no, according to you this is backed up by proper research.

Edit: Actually I just noticed I did say this is a page ranking exercise in my last post - fair point then. But I meant it in the sense that articles are written to get eyes on pages. You don't write about the boring truth in order to achieve this because basically it's boring - unless as I just pointed out in this post, the truth is catastrophic or grabs you emotionally. The peer reviewed studies are hardly ranking are they.

For example let's say you have a disease that kills 5,000 people per year - not many people are going to read an article about this. So to achieve the goal it's better to imply, use weasel words or simply lie in a press release where you infer that 500,000 people are dying every year (and it's getting worse yada yada). And then often times this gets picked up by the echo chamber this is the modern media environment who have the goal of getting eyes on pages and are only too happy to oblige - and the message gets out there.

Last edited:

sweetlikehoney

Make Money Online
https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
thats 47 million articles that say sitting leads to early death
lets take a look at what only the most trusted sites r saying
us news-
THURSDAY, Nov. 8 (HealthDay News) -- All those hours Americans spend in their office chairs or on their sofas may be packing on a particularly unhealthy form of fat around the heart, a new study suggests.
What's more, the fat stayed in place even when people undertook regular exercise, according to a study reported this week in Los Angeles at the annual meeting of the American Heart Association.
CT scans of more than 500 older Americans found that excess time spent sitting "was significantly related to pericardial fat around your heart," said study lead author Britta Larsen, a postdoctoral researcher in the department of cardiovascular epidemiology at the University of California, San Diego.
There have been numerous large studies recently suggesting that when it comes to its deleterious health effects, sitting is not just the absence of physical activity -- it has effects on the body that go beyond lack of exercise.
According to Larsen, that means that "even if you run every day but then you sit for eight hours a day, the sitting is still doing something bad for your health." She also noted that studies have found sitting to be detrimental to health even after scientists factored out excess weight gain.
"So, we wanted to see if sitting was related to the distribution of fat, because different types of fat are worse than others," Larsen said.
The study looked at data on 504 Californian adults, average age 65. In particular, Larsen's team examined CT scan data that showed how much of certain types of body fat were deposited in each participant's body.
"We looked at subcutaneous fat, which is stuff on the outside [for example, a "pot belly"]; then visceral fat, which is around your organs; intramuscular fat, which is actually in your muscles; intrathoracic [chest cavity] fat; and pericardial fat, which is around your heart," Larsen said.
The participants were also asked about the amount of time per week they spent sitting and how much time they had spent being physically active.
The study found that the more time spent sitting, the bigger the area of fat deposited around a person's heart, Larsen said. She explained that pericardial fat "is strongly related to cardiovascular disease. It gets in the way of heart function, it clogs up your arteries -- you don't want it there."
Prolonged sitting was not significantly related to any of the other types of fat, the study found.

webmd-

It also adds to the evidence suggesting that lifestyle plays an important role in kidney disease, and that prolonged sitting has a negative impact on health in general, Yates says.
Marc Hamilton, PhD, of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center, has studied the topic for more than a decade. He says it is increasingly clear that prolonged sitting is bad for everyone, whether they are fit or fat or active or inactive.
“The experimental studies conducted by us and others are consistent in finding that sitting too much is unhealthy, even in people who are not overweight and those who exercise regularly,” he says.
But it is not yet clear if getting up every half hour or so makes a difference, Hamilton says.
His own research suggests that when people do sit for long periods -- either at their desk at work or watching TV at home -- they aren’t completely inactive. In fact, they tend to spend about 40% of the time moving around.
“I’m not sure it’s all that helpful to tell people with desk jobs to get up and move around, because they are already doing that,” he says.
scientific american - But as we will discuss below, sedentary time is closely associated with health risk regardless of how much physical activity you perform on a daily basis. Further, it is entirely possible to meet current physical activity guidelines while still being incredibly sedentary. Thus, to quote researcher Marc Hamilton, sitting too much is not the same as exercising too little. (if you take only one thing from this post, let it be that quote from Dr Hamilton). Which is why it is so important that when we use the term "sedentary", we are all on the same page about what that means.
Now that we know what sedentary behavior is, let’s look at its relationship with health risk.
Epidemiological Evidence
In 2009 Dr Peter Katzmarzyk and colleagues at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center published an influential longitudinal paper examining the links between time spent sitting and mortality in a sample of more than 17,000 Canadians (available here). Not surprisingly, they report that time spent sitting was associated with increased risk of all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality (there was no association between sitting and deaths due to cancer). But what is fascinating is that the relationship between sitting time and mortality was independent of physical activity levels. In fact, individuals who sat the most were roughly 50% more likely to die during the follow-up period than individuals who sat the least, even after controlling for age, smoking, and physical activity levels. Further analyses suggested that the relationship between sitting time and mortality was also independent of body weight. This suggests that all things being equal (body weight, physical activity levels, smoking, alcohol intake, age, and sex) the person who sits more is at a higher risk of death than the person who sits less.
The above findings linking excessive sitting with poor health are far from isolated. For example, a similar longitudinal study from Australia reports that each hour of daily television viewing (a proxy of sedentary time) is associated with an 11% increase in the risk of all-cause mortality regardless of age, sex, waist circumference, and physical activity level. And as my colleagues and I summarize in a recent review paper (PDF), numerous epidemiological studies have linked sedentary behavior with obesity, cardiometabolic risk, and even some cancers.

But I guess they are all making up these studies and the results because they have nothing better to do than make up scary things to write about that will make sensational headlines. Maybe they made up heart disease too? Is diabetes real? Is anything real? I guess you're the only one who knows the truth since you're so much smarter than the rest of us and you're so savvy about the world of media relations and advertising.

Diji1

No that's 47 million (actually I have 263 million) with the words sitting, early and death in them.

lets take a look at what only the most trusted sites r saying
Absolutely, I'll quote from the articles you pasted:

"All those hours Americans spend in their office chairs or on their sofas may be packing on a particularly unhealthy form of fat around the heart"

"All those hours Americans spend in their office chairs or on their sofas may be packing on a particularly unhealthy form of fat around the heart"

"He says it is increasingly clear that prolonged sitting is bad for everyone, whether they are fit or fat or active or inactive."

"suggests that all things being equal (body weight, physical activity levels, smoking, alcohol intake, age, and sex) the person who sits more is at a higher risk of death than the person who sits less. [my emphasis]

None of these say sitting down is killing you. Certainly you can accuse me of pulling quotes out of context - no doubt.

Perhaps more worryingly for you is: "But what is fascinating is that the relationship between sitting time and mortality was independent of physical activity levels." Sounds like there's nothing you can do about it other than not sit down.

And yet here we are: the people living the most sedentary lifestyle involving sitting down in human history living the longest in human history - it clearly isn't an epidemic of death because most people spend a lot of time sitting down.

BTW you didn't link to any studies either you linked to a news and an information site, both of which have an interest in selling advertising to viewers - this doesn't necessarily mean the information is flawed however it doesn't inspire confidence either since it isn't hard to see that there's an interest in presenting catastrophic information (death is after all pretty catastrophic and sitting down is something almost everyone does - great news story which is relevant to us all).

I didn't look for any peer reviewed studies but even then one or two studies is hardly a consensus - peer reviewed studies are shown to have evidence against them all the time, it's part of the process. And some studies are just flawed yet people are not interested in reporting this - look at the vaccine studies of last decade for example.

To me at least this is not an issue that I can take seriously until it's widely agreed that this is the case in other words.

SWIFFJUSTUS

⓿The Mad Methodologist⓿⎠
Elite VIP Member
I had a Buddy quit smoking after 22 Years for health reasons
and a week Later was Killed By a Cigarette Truck..True story.

All things In moderation...
Moderation in all things.
Funny thing is I know some very Healthy Unhappy Folks
and some extremely unhealthy people who don't have a care in the world.
Go figure..That's why you never see a Bald Headed wino...No worries Man!

I'm Just being silly to Kinda cool off the Heat Above Me-lol
Sorry sweets Not trying to Disrespect your Thread.

I am an IT worker and of course I sit a lot, but I walk no less than 10 miles every day and I go to gym 3 times a week, my butt is not as flat lol. As for burning calories: I am burn them extremely quickly because intellectual work is exhausting, I even have to smoke some medical marijuana to cope with all the stress.