Very Simple Domain/Hosting Question

Master Pain

Make Money Online
For a newbie looking to purchase a domain and have it hosted, what domain/hosting service(s) would you recommend?

I'm thinking about setting it up to serve as nothing more than a redirect site, so, I guess I could get by with something cheap - I don't know.

Anyway, depending on what answers I get here, and what answers I get for my redirect question, I'll be able to better determine my strategy/approach.

Thanks.

BlueRhino

Make Money Online
Just go with hostgator.com. They are pretty cheap and will more than meet your needs for your campaigns.

Look in the webhosting section for the $1 first month trial coupon code.

As for the domain, you can go with namecheap.com / godaddy.com it really doesn't matter to much.

This all assumes the domain is for whitehat/grayhat methods.

Master Pain

Make Money Online
Hey, thanks, guys.

As far as it being WH/GH, I'm not really sure what those mean just yet. I mean, I have some general idea, I guess.

Basically, I just want to be able to clean up the appearance of my affiliate link so that it is more 'welcoming'. I am being upfront about what it is, I just want them to see a www(dot)something(dot)com link instead of a http://123332313_(dot)affiliate(dot)3345345/er link.

I don't know if this would be classified as poor web etiquette, WH/GH/BH - I really don't know.

Is this method recommended/not recommended? Thanks.

blackeyedpeas

Make Money Online
back to op question.

domains, I only use namecheap com anymore.

They also offer decent hosting at a decent price.

I have hosting with hostgator, no problems with them either.

BlueRhino

Make Money Online
Hey, thanks, guys.

As far as it being WH/GH, I'm not really sure what those mean just yet. I mean, I have some general idea, I guess.

Basically, I just want to be able to clean up the appearance of my affiliate link so that it is more 'welcoming'. I am being upfront about what it is, I just want them to see a www(dot)something(dot)com link instead of a http://123332313_(dot)affiliate(dot)3345345/er link.

I don't know if this would be classified as poor web etiquette, WH/GH/BH - I really don't know.

Yeah that would be White Hat (WH). And yes it would be beneficial to register a domain and do a PHP redirect.

anyhat

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
If you are only wanting to redirect to your affiliate link you don't need hosting. I have a .info that redirects directly to a clickbank products sales page.
Godaddy will redirect it for you free...You just have to set it up in your account.
I assume most of the others will as well but godaddy is the only one I have dealt with. In fact its the only domain I own and I know nothing about hosting or even setting up a site.
A redirect allows you to post your link in places that do not allow affiliate links.
In godaddy you can even put meta keywords and a meta description for ranking in google. But I'm not sure how hard it would be to get any significant ranking in google with a redirect.
I ask that question once on another forum and of the few replies someone said it was possible but would take a little more effort. Would someone here like to input on that?

P.S. if you are only going to redirect the domain... I would go for a .info for $1.07 or you can even get a free .cc (I'm pretty sure you can redirect the .cc as well)

cheers :beer:

junkfilter6

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
Hey, thanks, guys.

As everyone else has suggested, hostgator is pro. Great live chat support and fantastic uptime.

Use “newhgcoupon†to receive $9.94 off. This makes the Baby Plan $0.01 for the first month (if you do a monthly package). It takes $9.94 off the total bill in other plans.
If the coupon doesn't work, try searching google for hostgator coupons.

For domains, if don't mind having a ".info" domain, you can get them extremely cheap at GoDaddy. If you want a ".com" try namecheap.com.

WH = Whitehat. These methods are completely legal, do not harm anyone. What you're trying to do is whitehat.

BH = Blackhat. A method that is blackhat tries to bend the rules or deceives someone. For example, hidden text on your webpage with keywords (you can be penalized for this) or making a deceiving website to obtain someone's information.

GH = Greyhat. Something that is sort of "on the line." Maybe not purely blackhat, not not entirely whitehat either.

Hope that clears things up!:tee:

For a newbie looking to purchase a domain and have it hosted, what domain/hosting service(s) would you recommend?
I'm thinking about setting it up to serve as nothing more than a redirect site, so, I guess I could get by with something cheap - I don't know.
Anyway, depending on what answers I get here, and what answers I get for my redirect question, I'll be able to better determine my strategy/approach.
Thanks.

You can get the domain and hosting at cheap rates from XnYnZ.com here they provide many services at reasonable price.They provide good customer service and support.