Wikipedia founder calls for online revolution

sharathmum

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
Reaction score
Source: news.com.au

THE founder of communally-crafted online encyclopedia Wikipedia is calling for people to join him in an internet search engine revolution, his weblog said today.

Jimmy Wales plans to create a "wiki-inspired search engine" that incorporates advances made by projects such as Nutch open source search software.

Wikis are web pages that allow visitors to change, add or delete content.

Non-profit Wikipedia began as an online reference for technical terms but users built it into an expansive trove of knowledge contributed from around the world.

"Just as Wikipedia revolutionised how we think about knowledge and the encyclopedia, we have a chance now to revolutionise how we think about search," Mr Wales wrote in a blog at his Search Wikia website.

Mr Wales contended that computer formula approach used by reigning search engines such as Google and Yahoo was "broken" and said his Wikia company was bent on developing "something radically new".

(Click Here to Read more)

scottology

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
Reaction score
yeah this seems fairly interesting as wikipedia is a wonderful resource online

coltsfan215

Make Money Online
Reaction score
Although wikipedia is a great source you have to remeber that anyone...anyone can edit/post info on the site. Whether it is true or not. Although it will be changed with in 48 hours it can mislead many people.

forumer

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
Reaction score
yeah this seems fairly interesting as wikipedia is a wonderful resource online
[/b]
Mmmm thats right, that is too free and open, and thats not suitable if we can change other people info about anything. But if we can just only change ours, thats normal. I hope they do not go on with the first that i said above, if so, then i don't know how to think about its consequences .......

trevomanut

Make Money Online
Reaction score
Wikipedia is great! It's far better than google,yahoo and the other search engines because it has everything.And If I cant find something in Google I will surely find it in Wikipedia. B)

jbmac227

Make Money Online
Reaction score
Although wikipedia is a great source you have to remeber that anyone...anyone can edit/post info on the site. Whether it is true or not. Although it will be changed with in 48 hours it can mislead many people.
[/b]
That's the only problem with letting people edit informational pages. There is always some joker out there who wants to do something silly. I believe a few weeks ago someone posted on wiki that Sinbad, the comedian has died. Even though a hoax, it sparked a lot of controversy.

Wyzla

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
Reaction score
I like this site you can find a lot posts and good info...

you can use the info in schoold when writing something :D

AtzoLP

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Wikipedia is great site ! Hm.. The one of best sites...

Everything I wanted to know ( music, sports , religion etc... ) I founded there... ;)

dreamr802

Make Money Online
Reaction score
I agree that wikipedia is a good site and you can find a lot of information on it, but I'm a journalism major. Our teacher told us that site is not "as reliable" as other sources because anyone can add to the site and someone can add wrong information by accident. I don't use that source for papers or anything like that, in fact at my school we aren't allowed to at all.

shireishou

Make Money Online
Reaction score
Irts hard to open sometimes.
But it held a lot of information and I love it a lot ^^
Beside, even some is fake Information, hope others who knows that fake send msg to admin to remove it ^^

jeff`

Make Money Online
Very Active Members
Reaction score
I'm glad to here it, wikepedia is one of the best online tools for research papers, etc.

shireishou

Make Money Online
Reaction score
Wikipedia almost store all information
Including many language in the world. ^^ Is that awesome that I also able to find news in my own language ^^