Yeah! Another good offline method!

Yeah I know it's a thread from 2009 but it wasn't me who brought it back from the dead, Lol.
Anyways, for anyone interested in reading it, here ya go:

Code:
When I was first hired as a car salesperson, I had sales experience. I had sold shoes on 
commission for almost 2 years and I had 2 years of telephone catalog clothing sales. 
However, going from selling shoes and clothing to cars was a major leap. Fortunately 
for me, the dealership which hired me had an excellent training program. 

I'm not originally from the area in which I live now. When it comes to selling cars, this 
is a huge disadvantage. I don't have family here and I don't have friends who I can turn 
to for assistance in getting some leads for potential car buyers. Yet, my first month on 
the floor, I was the third highest grossing sales person at the dealership. Which means I 
sold more, in terms of dollar amount, than the majority of other sales people. I'm talking 
“veterans” guys who had been there for 2-10 years. I consistently sold a large number of 
cars and routinely earned the bonuses that go along with that accomplishment. This is 
practically unheard of. 

If you never sold cars before, the magnitude of this may be a little hard to grasp. Let me 
put it into internet marketing terms for you. This is the equivalent of starting a brand 
new website with a brand new product. You have no list. Yet, you sell more copies of 
your product than a well established “guru” that sells a similar product to the same type 
of people you are trying to sell to. I'll get to the method I used to help achieve this in a 
moment. 

If you are serious about going into sales, I would highly recommend you sell cars for at 
least a few months. Especially if they have a good training program. Selling cars will 
help you develop several critical selling skills. 

You will be able to confidently approach potential customers. You will learn how to find 
“hot buttons” with customers. You will learn how to recognize non-verbal buying 
signals. You will learn to easily overcome objections. Most important of all, you will 
learn the art of successful price negotiation. 

Also, by working at a car dealership, you're honing the above mentioned skills on their 
dime. (Though, if you don't make an adequate number of sales, don't expect to be 
working there too long. However, the idea is to just get some experience at the above 
skills before you strike out on your own, so this really isn't a huge deal.) 

If you don't wish to sell cars before you try and implement the blueprint laid out in any 
of the offline selling manuals, I can completely understand that. Do remember, that your 
success with business owners is the difference between getting paid and having nothing 
to show for your efforts. After I left the dealership, I sold yellow page advertising for a 
phone book company. 

From my experience, selling yellow page advertising to small business owners, I can tell 
you, it is no picnic. This is where I feel most of those offline selling manuals fall short I 
do believe they gloss over the rejection you're most likely going to get from small 
business owners. I'm not trying to be negative, but as someone that was “in the trenches” 
dealing with the type of people those reports talk about, I feel obligated to give you fair 
warning. 

I believe if you use the tactic in this report you will cut down the amount of rejections 
you face. More importantly, this tactic will explode the amount of referrals you get; 
compared to using the tactics outlined in the selling offline manuals alone. 

The tactic that helped me be a top grossing sales person at the car dealership is a tactic I 
took with me and used while selling yellow page advertising; which really paid off. The 
tactic which I learned during my car sales training is called “Bird Dogging.” 

Now you may be asking yourself, “What the hell does that mean?” Well, there are 
hunters that hunt birds. Birds such as turkey, pheasant, etc...A lot of these hunters 
greatly increase their success of bagging birds by relying on a well trained bird dog. 

Bird dogs are trained to sniff out and flush out birds so the hunter can then shoot them. 
Otherwise, the hunter would have to try and flush out these birds and once he does, 
shoot them. A hunter with a bird dog, has an advantage over hunters who do not. 

The hunter with the dog, lets the dog do all the hard work. All he has to do is have his 
rifle ready to shoot when his dog flushes out the birds. Not to mention, the dog has a 
huge advantage, in that it can smell where the birds are. Whereas a human can't smell 
where the birds are and has to rely more on luck to find them. These dogs get “positive 
reinforcement” when they are successful. Usually their reward consists of a pat on the 
head or a dog treat. 

In car sales, instead of having a dog sniff out and flush out birds for a reward; you have 
other people “sniff out” and “flush out” potential customers to buy a car from you. 
Instead of a pat on the head or a dog treat, they got cold, hard, cash every time they were 
successful. By doing this, the sales person doesn't have to do the hard work of finding 
and getting people who want to buy a car to the dealership. They have other people out 
there doing that part for them, so all they have to do is concentrate on the easy part, 
selling. 

Here's how it works. I had business cards with my name on them. I would hand them out 
to people. I would tell them I sell cars. I would then tell them to write their full name 
and their phone number on the back of the card. Next, I would instruct them to hand 

them out to anyone they knew who may be interested in buying either a new car or a 
used car. If the person they handed that card to came to me and bought a car, the person 
who gave them the card got $50 from the dealership. 

Does this concept sound vaguely familiar? It should, it's the offline equivalent of an 
affiliate program. What follows is how I used Bird Dogging to its fullest potential: 

No matter where I went, I made sure I had a huge stack of cards with me. I would hand 
them out to anyone I talked to. If we went out to eat, I would talk to our server and tell 
them I had an easy way for them to make some extra money. I would then hand them 5 
cards and told them to put their name and phone number on the back and hand them out 
to family, friends, or anyone they knew who was thinking of getting a car. Not only 
would they get the cash for the referral, this is what really sealed the deal; I would then 
tell them that anyone who bought a car from me, I would recommend one of the first 
places they take their new car was to “whatever restaurant I was at” and ask for “their 
name” to serve them because they give excellent service. That means extra tips for them. 

I would then hand them another 20-25 and ask them to please hand them out to 4-5 other 
servers and tell them how they can make some easy money too. I never had a refusal. Of 
course, they're interested in an easy way to make some extra money. Also, I told them I 
would recommend my customers to sit in their section, so they get the tips. Do you think 
they're not going to share this way to make some easy money with their friends at work 
too? 

I went to the mall, and stopped off at every kiosk in the mall. I told whoever was 
working in the kiosk (cell phone kiosks are awesome for this, because some of them also 
have a referral program, and you can get paid by referring people. Make sure you ask if 
they have a referral program) that I had an easy way for them to make some extra 
money. 

I would just do the same as I did with the servers at the restaurants. I would often then 
ask for some of the business cards of the person that I talked to. I would tell them that I 
would mention to my car buyers if they were looking for a good place to buy a cell 
phone I would give that customer their business card. 

Does that second part of the tactic sound familiar? It should, it's called a joint venture in 
internet marketing terms. You promote my product/service, I'll promote yours. 

Of course, any time anyone bought a car from me, I would explain to them how they 
could make some easy cash. I would get names and phone numbers of their friends and 

family members. I would also give them some cards and tell them to put their name and 
phone number on the back and hand them out to co-workers or people they forgot to 
give to me as a potential customer. When it comes to online sales, isn't always better to 
have people who bought from you promoting the products you sell? This is no different 
offline. 

I would display the business cards I obtained along the wall of my sales desk cubicle. 
After the sale was complete, I would often ask the customer what their favorite places to 
eat out where in the area. I would then mention the names of the servers that I talked to 
at those restaurants. I would say something like “So, what's your absolute favorite place 
to eat out locally here?” 

Say they would say “Red Lobster.” I would then say “So, you like Red Lobster, me too. 
I think you guys should take your new car there to celebrate tonight. If you do, I'd highly 
suggest you sit in Dan, Kelley, or Judy's section, I've had them as servers before, tell 
them Jason from “My dealership” sent you and they'll take real good care of you. 

Of course, I had many names from many different restaurants that I could use. To work 
in the cell phone referrals, I would say something like “I noticed you have a cell phone, 
who's your provider?” They would then answer. I would say something like “Oh, that's 
cool, I know John, Wendy, and Tara at the kiosk in the mall. If you're looking to 
upgrade your plan or get a new phone if you tell them that Jason from (My dealership) 
sent you, they'll take real good care of you.” I would then hand them the cards of the 
people from that cell phone provider. 

When I left the dealership to sell yellow page advertising, I knew I would incorporate 
this method somehow, because of how successful it was for me. At the dealership, they 
paid the $50. Unfortunately, the phone book didn't have any such plan in place. So, 
referral commissions paid would have to come out of my own pocket. However, the 
commissions involved with yellow page advertising are very lucrative, so this was not a 
problem. I'll get into how I used it with yellow page advertising in a moment. 

You can use the method of bird dogging several ways for your business that is outlined 
in any of the offline selling reports. 

Of course, the first thing you're going to need are business cards. I'd also highly suggest 
you have a website that describes your business. It would only make sense that if you're 
trying to sell websites and SEO services you have a website of your own. Your business 
cards should have the url of your site on them. 

The first suggestion I have is to go to your local mall. Stop at every kiosk and ask them 
if they want to make some easy money. Tell them you make and improve websites. If 
that person knows of anyone who may be interested in your service; give them your 
card. (Be sure they know to write down their name and phone number on the back of the 
card, so they can get credit for any sales their referral results in.) 

Give these cards out to as many of your friends and family as you can. Tell them they 
don't have to do any “selling” for you. All they need to know is that you create and 
improve websites for business owners. Your website with the url will do all of the 
“selling” for them. Again, make sure they know to put their name and phone number on 
the back as the referrer. 

I would also suggest that you actually type out the way your referral program works. 
Make it very clear and concise. I've included a sample for you to use as a guideline. 

When it comes to dealing with the business owners directly; you have several options 
available to you. What I found to be most successful while working at the phone book 
was to walk into the place with a stack of business cards and some of my typed referral 
program sheets. Ask if the owner is available. 

If the person you are talking to is the owner, they're more than likely to put defenses up. 
They think you're the 1,000th salesperson who has either called or come in. You can 
instantly disarm them by saying: “Oh, hi, my name is (Your name) I just want you to 
know from the start I'm not here to take money out of your pocket and try and sell you 
anything. I'm actually here because I have a way for you to make some easy money and 
put some extra money in your pocket.” Then just be quiet. Don't say a word! Let them 
process what you just said. Trust me, you just disarmed them and piqued their interest 
with that one little sentence. 

What follows is usually something along the lines of “Okay, how can I make this “easy 
money?” Or, “Okay?” Then all you have to do is say something to the effect “Well, I'm 
starting a new service oriented business. Being a small business owner yourself, I'm sure 
you understand how hard it is to get off to a solid start. I have some business cards here 
and all I'm asking is that if you know of anyone who could use my services to hand out 
my card to them.” “Of course, you want to know how you make the easy money. All 
you have to do is write your name and phone number on the back. If your referral 
purchases my services, I'll cut you a check for $(whatever amount you deem 
appropriate.”) Again, just be quiet. Don't say a word. More often than not, they're going 
to ask “What type of service are you offering?” 

If you get this question, now you're golden. Now you can start talking about exactly 
what it is that you do, and get into all the other stuff that is talked about in the offline 
selling reports. 

When I worked at the phone book, I used this same method. I would walk in with my 
cards and explain that I was a yellow page salesperson but I wasn't there to sell them 
yellow page advertising. (Obviously, this was for the places that were not advertising 
with us yet.) I was actually there to make them some easy money. This often disarmed 
them because they were confused. They were probably thinking “he's a yellow page 
sales person, who isn't here to sell me something?” 

I would then go on to explain that if they give my card to someone who bought 
advertising from me, I would give them 5% of my commission. I would usually then ask 
them if they had any questions that I may be able to answer about yellow page 
advertising. Of course, I had to be well prepared for this before I walked in. I knew I had 
to expect I'd get some questions and have all of my sales materials with me. More often 
than not, I wound up selling them advertising. 

That's the key. Instead of just trying to jump into a sales routine, you have to show you 
have expert knowledge. If you can “teach” them things about whatever service you are 
selling, without actually trying to “sell” them, they're more likely to buy from you. 
Again, this is no different offline. How many marketers do you know who give away a 
ton of good, quality, free, information? Then usually, you wind up buying one of their 
products because they weren't trying to force a sale down your throat and you trust them. 

If the person you are talking to isn't the business owner but the dreaded gate keeper, 
you're going to have to rely on some smoothness. Remember, these people are paid to 
protect the owner from sales people. They can't stand sales people. You ask if the owner 
is there, and they'll inevitably ask if you have an appointment or ask what this in regards 
to. While working at the phone book I would use this tactic. I would just simply smile at 
them. (It's amazing how effective a smile can be.) Then I would say: 

“I know the owner is probably busy and I know that you have the important job of 
keeping sales people at bay. I'll tell you a little secret (at this point, I would lean in a 
little closer and lower my voice a little bit) I am a dreaded sales person. (Usually I would 
get a smile or a chuckle) However, (I would dramatically raise a pointed finger in the 
air) and this is the truth, I'm not here to actually sell anything. I simply need a few 
moments with the owner to talk about how they can make some very easy extra cash, no 
purchase whatsoever necessary.” 

This tactic got me past the gate keeper 80% of the time. If the owner was truly busy or 

not there, the majority of the time this tactic lead to getting a solid follow up 
appointment. 

Obviously, I wouldn't suggest using that exact routine in the case of selling your 
website/seo services. I would probably go with something like this: 
“I know the owner is probably busy and I know that you have the important job of 
keeping sales people at bay. I'll tell you a little secret (at this point, I would lean in a 
little closer and lower my voice a little bit) but I'm not a sales person. I'm actually 
starting my own service related business. I just need a few moments of their time to tell 
them how I can put some very easy extra cash in their pocket.” 

One of several things will probably happen at this point. They'll ask you a few more 
questions, which you should promptly answer. They'll call the owner while you're 
standing there and ask if they want to see you. They'll ask you to have a seat and wait a 
few moments. Or, they'll tell you the owner isn't there or available. If the owner doesn't 
have any interest in seeing you, no problem. 

If they call back and the owner doesn't want to see you or if after sitting they tell you the 
owner doesn't want to see you, no problem. You can still potentially salvage this 
opportunity. All you have to do is smile. (Even though you're disappointed, smile, it 
shows resolve and confidence.) Politely thank them for their time. Then start walking 
towards the door, then stop abruptly and turn back around and acting as 
though it's an after thought say “Could you please, at least get my card to them.” At 
which point, they'll probably say yes. The after thought part is extremely important. 
Trust me, I've tested this, and you will have a higher rate of success if you do it exactly 
like this. 

Pull out a stack of about 5 cards and staple it to your typed out referral program. You 
can say “I really don't want to sell anything to them, the easy way for them to make 
some extra cash is attached to my cards. If they have any other questions tell them to call 
me.” Then pull out another 5 cards stapled to a typed referral program and hand them to 
the gate keeper and say: “Here, this is for you, if you would like to make some easy cash 
too.” 

It's best if you already have a few of these “packets” ready to go so you're not fumbling 
around with a stapler. 

If the owner does agree to see you, just go into the speech mentioned above. 
If you talk to an employee, obviously, they are neither the owner or the gate keeper. It is 
up to you how you wish to proceed. You could either ask when the owner is usually 
there and stop back. You could drop off one of your easy cash referral packets to give to 
the owner (Not really suggested, you want to try and get face time with the owner.) You 

could explain the easy cash referral system to the employee so they get you some 
referrals and then come back to see the owner later. How you do it is up to you. 
However, I've found the best success comes from actually getting face time with the 
owner, as mentioned above. 

Remember, when you go to the kiosks at the mall, you may actually be talking to the 
owner, so be prepared for that. 

The second method you can use Bird Dogging to your advantage is to not make it part of 
the initial conversation with the business owner at all. Don't even bring up your referral 
program at first. Just talk to the owner and try to give them quality free information and 
your sales pitch. You then have the bird dogging method as an ace up your sleeve. Let 
me go into detail. 

Let's say that you meet the owner, you talk to them about what you do. You tell them 
you can make them a site, give them an online presence, search engine optimization, 
etc.... However, the owner for whatever reason, just isn't sold on the concept. (Whatever 
you do, don't blame yourself. Failure is part of sales. The sooner you realize that, the 
better off you will be.) 

However, we do want to leverage as much as we can out of every sales call we make. 
Gas isn't cheap and food doesn't put itself on the table. You realize they are not 
interested. This is when you can pull that ace from out of your sleeve. You can then say: 
“Well, gee, (their name) I'm really sorry that we can't do business together. However, as 
long as the specific reason you didn't want my services is because you didn't like me, by 
the way, that isn't the reason is it? 

You're never likely to get a yes to this question, unless somehow you've royally pissed 
them off; in which case, you wouldn't be having this conversation anyway. So, you can 
pretty much count on a “no” as an answer. Actually, you may even get to the real 
objection as to why they said no in the first place. You may be able to salvage the sale 
from this one question. 

If they say, no, that isn't the reason (usually, they'll even chuckle, because it's so absurd 
that they are saying no, because they flat out don't like you.) They'll usually reply with 
something like: I'm just not interested, I don't have the money, the economy is lousy, 
etc...(it's amazing how many ways these business owners can say no, without actually 
saying no. That's just thanks to years of playing cat and mouse with sales people.) And 
you've already tried to handle these objections, then you can just say: 

“Okay, I'm glad to hear that you at least like me, because I like you too. I think we can 
still help each other out, even if you don't want to purchase my services.” 

They'll usually then ask how they can help. You can then say “Well, just because my 
services aren't right for you, doesn't mean that they wouldn't be right for some of the 
other business owners you either know personally or do business with. If you 
recommend my services to someone and they buy my services from me, thanks to your 
referral, I'll cut you a check for $(whatever amount you deem appropriate.) 

It's a win-win, I get a quality referral and sale from you and you get some easy cash 
from me.”If price was the issue, you can even throw in “If you make (amount of 
referrals) you could use that money to get my services for free. “So how about it, do you 
have a few people you could call right now, and set me up an appointment with?”

If they say no or that they are busy, then you can say something like “Okay, I 
understand you are busy, but can I at least have a few names and phone numbers of the 
people you know? I'll write them down right now so if they buy my services it's a sure 
thing you'll get $(whatever amount you deem appropriate) if they buy. 

If they're still reluctant to do this, then just hand them one of your referral packs. Make 
sure to tell them to write their phone number and name on the back of the cards so they 
get credit if any sales result from the referral. 

(Very important: You're going to have to overcome human nature here. Usually, after 
we get rejected, we want to just “slink away.” Your natural tendency is going to be that 
you're going to want to avoid eye contact, pick up your stuff, shake hands and get out 
the door as quick as possible. It's just an evolutionary trigger that was put there to “help” 
us. 

However, as a salesperson, and like it or not, if you decide to do this business, that's a 
role you're going to have to take, you have to overcome this desire, and you have to 
realize that this evolutionary desire is not “helping” you when it comes to these 
situations. Remember, it's not you they are rejecting. Don't take it personal. That's why 
it's important to ask them, if the reason they are saying no, is because they don't like 
you. 

This will help your mind feel more at ease about the rejection. You need to hang in 
there, and ask them to set you up appointments, get names and numbers, etc...) 
You see what we are doing? We are leveraging our sales call. We may not have walked 
out of there with a sale, but we are trying to get more solid, pre-qualified, appointments 
or at the very least a few good leads. You may be wondering why you should give credit 
to the owner if all he is doing is giving you a name and number, which may be a 
business you already have on your list. 

After all, if you were going there anyway, why give this non-buying business owner a 
cut of the profit. Let's look at an example: 

Say I'm talking to Art at Art's Grocery. He doesn't want my services, he doesn't want to 
call anyone right then and there to make an appointment for me. However, he is willing 
to give up a name and number. He says “Call George over at Heavenly Bread, here's the 
number.” Now, for arguments sake, let's say that Heavenly Bread was on your list of 
places to hit anyway. Why should you give Art any cut of the profit? It will benefit you 
two ways. 

First, dropping Art's name to George, believe it or not, will increase your chances of 
having George buy your services, compared to if George knows nothing about you. 
Let's look at the two possible scenarios: 

You walk into Heavenly Bread and say, “Hi, I'm (your name.) Are you George?” He 
says “Yes.” “Okay, Art from Art's Grocery thought that I should come in and talk to 
you, do you have a few minutes?” 

Compare that with: 

“Oh, hi, are you the owner? My name is (Your name) so, how long have you been 
running this business? What made you get into this business? Do you have a website? 

I really don't think at this point, I have to ask which one you think you'll have the greater 
chance of success with. The second reason why giving Art a cut of the profits is a smart 
thing is because if George buys and you give Art his promised referral, Art will then see 
you are an honest person. It will excite him to see that just by giving you one paying 
referral he did indeed get some “easy cash.” 

Don't you think he'd be pretty excited and talk about your service to everyone he knows? 
You bet he will! Especially if you pay a great referral fee. Think about what it was like 
for you when you made your first affiliate commission online. It's no different offline. 

I should also, at this point, mention you should always take the first referral fee to the 
referrer in person. I always did this when I worked at the phone book. You can actually 
see how excited they are about getting a check from you for just telling someone they 
know about your services. 

While you're there and they are excited about getting the money, you can say; “While 
I'm here, is there anyone else that you may know that you could call right now and set 

up an appointment with?” If they didn't actually set you up the appointment before, they 
may be a little more motivated to do so now. 

So far we covered using Bird Dogging as an initial way to break the ice and as an ace up 
your sleeve to salvage a sales call if they don't want to buy. You can also use it as an ace 
up your sleeve when you are successful. 

So, let's say your sales call goes fantastic. You are dynamite. You are on fire, and the 
owner can't cut you the check fast enough to buy your services. You are now in another 
great place to get more referrals from them. At the car dealership, when I sold a new car, 
it was so easy to get more referrals. These people were so excited about having a new 
car. 

What made it really easy, was telling them that if any of the referrals they gave me 
bought a car from me, they would get $50.00. It's no different in this situation. If you 
mention to the business owner that they will be paid $(whatever amount you deem fit) if 
the referral leads to a sale, they will be way more apt to give you all of their contacts. 
Money is always a powerful motivator, so why shouldn't it be any different in terms of 
getting referrals. 

(Very important: Again, you're going to have to overcome your own evolutionary 
tendencies here. If you make the sale, you'll probably be pretty nervous/excited yourself. 
It really is an adrenaline rush. Your tendency is going to be to try to just conclude the 
business at hand as quickly as possible and get out of there, so you can “celebrate.” You 
have to get yourself under control and make sure that you get more referrals from them. 
This is the most optimum time to hit them up for referrals.) 

A word about what you should pay for a successful referral. What's true online, is going 
to be true offline. Products with a high dollar price with a generous affiliate commission 
will never cease to have an army of affiliates willing to promote it. Including so called 
“super affiliates.” Super affiliates are people who are very good at affiliate marketing 
and will make the owner of the product a very large amount of money consistently. 

It's really no different with your offline business. The more money you give to people in 
exchange for quality leads, the more likely it is you'll have more business than you can 
possibly handle. You're going to have to figure out how much you can afford to give 
away. In most of these guides the prices range from $1,500 to $5,000+. No matter what 
you charge you'll have to decide what's right for you to give away as a referral 
commission. Obviously, the higher you charge, the more generous you can be with your 
referral commissions. 

Personally, I wouldn't suggest you give anything less than $150. Let's say that you 
decide you'll do it for $1,500. If you have a business owner who doesn't want to buy 
from you, you can then say; “Well, if you give me some referrals and if 10 of them buy 
from me, you'll have enough in referral commissions to get my services for free.” Not to 
mention, the smaller the commission the less likely the business owner is to bust their 
hump promoting your services for you. 

You can build your referral commission into pricing. If you really don't care that you 
only get $1,500, and want to pay a generous $300 referral commission you can charge 
$1,800 and still get $1,500 for you. Just remember that when you're negotiating with the 
business owners that you don't cut too deeply into your profits. You may even want to 
build an additional $300+ into your price for negotiating. You can start at $2,100 and if 
the owner wants to negotiate you can negotiate down to $1,800 without cutting into your 
profits. 

When I worked at the yellow pages company, we often had discounts or incentives 
tucked away in our pocket. Obviously, for a bigger commission, we would try to get the 
business owner to agree to full price rates. However, even though occasionally you'd 
have them say okay and agree to those rates, more often than not, negotiation had to 
happen. 

Business owners are used to haggling with sales people. Again, you're making a mistake 
if you think you're not considered a “sales person” to them. I would usually have up to 3 
different price cuts I could give them for their yellow page advertising, and I would 
work my way down. 

Let them battle it out and sweat it out a little bit. You don't ever just walk in and give 
your lowest price. Even if you only want to charge $1,500, don't ever go in and say “It's 
$1,500” You have nowhere to negotiate from. Most of them won't believe you, that 
that's the “best deal” you can give them. As counterintuitive as it sounds, whatever your 
lowest acceptable price is, add a few hundred bucks, so you can negotiate to your 
“real” price. 

You can't just “give in” You have to play little games. I really do suggest you pick up a 
book on price negotiation. This is going to be a reality for you. This is beyond the scope 
of this report. However, I just want you to be aware of it. 

You can always give a % instead of a flat rate. The more you get, the more they will get, 
and it won't cut into your profits too bad. For example, if you give an 8% referral 
commission and your referral agrees on a $1,800 final cost, your referrer would get 
$144. If you have to go as low as $1,500 your referrer would get $120. 

However, and this is pure opinion, I'd have to say that most people would probably 
prefer a flat rate commission. If you do percentage, they really don't know whether you 
ripped them off or not. You could tell them that you sold it for $1,500 when you really 
sold it to them for $1,800. 

If you plan on doing this, then good luck with your endeavors. Remember, these 
business owners know each other and talk. If you screw one of them, you may as well 
forget about doing business in that town again. I don't care how big your city is, word 
about unscrupulous people travels very quickly in the business community. 

Also, always make sure that you pay your referrers what you owe them, and pay 
promptly! Don't be a deadbeat. Again, it won't take long for word to spread about how 
you left so and so hanging for $XXX.00 

VERY, VERY, IMPORTANT! Always make sure that if you get a phone call or an 
inquiry by email that you ask if they were referred by anyone! If they are, make sure you 
WRITE IT DOWN. DON'T LOSE IT. Even if it turns out that it was a word of mouth 
referral, and not a “business card referral” pay the person they said who referred them. I 
would even suggest that before you even discuss price, you confirm who it was, if 
anyone that referred them to you. 

The last thing you want is to get through negotiating price and think you have made a 
nice profit only for them to say, “Oh, yeah, I'm supposed to tell you so and so told me to 
tell you they referred me to you.” 

Also, very important, make sure that the people you talk to about your bird dogging 
program, understand that they will get paid, when you get paid. I'm going to take a little 
minute and talk about this. It wasn't all glory and sales working for the yellow page 
company. 

You see I was expected to be spending part of my time, actually a few hours twice a 
week, on collections. People would agree to advertising, sign an iron clad contract, make 
a few payments, then when the book was published, stop paying. It's not like we could 
re-print the phone books and exclude the people who didn't pay, then re-distribute them. 
The cost would be ridiculous! 

Some of you may be asking; “Didn't they have a collections department?” Yes, we did. 
However, their reasoning behind having sales people collect the money, was that “We 
were in the area, it's easier for us to swing by and pick up payments, as opposed to just 
sending letters and calling.” While I understand their reasoning, this was another reason 
I resigned. I'm a sales person not a collection agent. 

The point being to you is this: Try to get as much money up front as you possibly can. In 
fact, I'd even go so far as to suggest you offer an additional discount for full payment up 
front. You can make it 5%-10%+. Don't forget to build this into your pricing. It's also a 
great negotiation tool. If you're haggling over price, you can say, well, look, you pay 
100% up front, you're saving 10%. Again, a lot of these business people will be used to 
getting a discount on products or services if full payment is made up front. 

I tried to avoid monthly payments like the plague. If all you can do is get 50% up front, 
then take 50% of the commission to your referrer. Pay your referrer promptly. 

Well, that's all I have. I know if you implement Bird Dogging into your strategy, you 
will explode your sales and the amount of referrals you get! Get up, get out, and start 
bird dogging!