my flawed offline strategy !

I tried to do this a little different..
my offline approach was this..
i built a site and got it ranked for certain keywords that interests the local market. but none of those service websites were ranking..

I figured instead of offering SEO to existing businesses it would be better if i can rank for it and then start takin money for advertising on my site and felt that wud be a longer solution lol

unfortunately I hit a road block when i cudn find any advertisers for it as most wanted to pay per lead.. but advertising a service provider on my site with their contact info, there is no real way for me to track that lead came from my site so im kinda stuck with that idea.

and i also chose the wrong niche.. i mean i chose something that is seasonal and not something that is all year round..

so yeah these are the mistakes i made.. i recently found a partner who has some local contacts and runs a small marketing firm, im hopin he can find me some advertiser before the next season

have any of you done anything similar ? any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

OR i just hope I have been able to spark some ideas into someone..

DaGrip

Make Money Online
You can use a tracking phone number, forwarded to your client, this let's you know how many leads have phoned them.

You can use a tracking phone number, forwarded to your client, this let's you know how many leads have phoned them.
Thanks!
hmm tracking phone number, dont know much about it or its cost, but i ll google it ! and i felt it would be easy if i can get them to give me a banner and i put it up my site :p that way i can start targettin other businesses. but you see life aint that easy :p

DaGrip

Make Money Online
Well that was just a quick suggestion in response to you saying there is no way to track leads. Personally, I think renting the site out to businesses is a better model... in general... you say that your niche was a bad choice though, so maybe that is really the main problem. If it is seasonal - wait until that niche is gearing up for their hot season and then try selling/renting it.

Don't throw your idea away completely, try it with other niches, try other methods of monetisation, look at your sales techniques - examine and test every variable that has caused this to fail (so far), and keep trying :)

yup
well i tried this in lawn care and in my city.. its about 6-7 months winter lol
so its really a seasonal business but i did get some enquiries on my site directly

yeah i got a guy workin on the marketing part he said he cud get me some advertisers next season !!
my idea was to just get in there and get my hands dirty and learn from it lol
so two things i learnt are:
1. pick a niche that is a year round business
2. you need to have a good marketing guy with you to get you some moniezzz

Well that was just a quick suggestion in response to you saying there is no way to track leads. Personally, I think renting the site out to businesses is a better model... in general... you say that your niche was a bad choice though, so maybe that is really the main problem. If it is seasonal - wait until that niche is gearing up for their hot season and then try selling/renting it.

Don't throw your idea away completely, try it with other niches, try other methods of monetisation, look at your sales techniques - examine and test every variable that has caused this to fail (so far), and keep trying :)

blackeyedpeas

Make Money Online
there are different lead capture plugins that can be sent to email. set up an email and then forward the emails that way you have a record of the leads that were sent.

there are ways to make it work and sell the leads.

blackeyedpeas

Make Money Online
not sure where you are at, but most lawn care around here do snow removal in winter, so there is still year round potential with that.

yup
so its really a seasonal business but i did get some enquiries on my site directly

yeah i got a guy workin on the marketing part he said he cud get me some advertisers next season !!

elchocador

Make Money Online
I've been doing this in my city in the south. Year around, but slow in winter. I was selling leads but people don't usually keep buying even though there are lots of leads. People get too busy and I get sick of chasing them around. Looking to lease the site but people are still just too stupid to realize that they could literally take a huge portion of the market with this #1 ranked site. A lot of Biz owners are just too stupid, they will pay $200 a month for marketing in some stupid local home mag and get a jacked up ROI when they could rock the local market with this site and sit back and laugh as the other competitors go out of business.

Sorry...guess I'm just venting a little.

I've been doing this in my city in the south. Year around, but slow in winter. I was selling leads but people don't usually keep buying even though there are lots of leads. People get too busy and I get sick of chasing them around. Looking to lease the site but people are still just too stupid to realize that they could literally take a huge portion of the market with this #1 ranked site. A lot of Biz owners are just too stupid, they will pay $200 a month for marketing in some stupid local home mag and get a jacked up ROI when they could rock the local market with this site and sit back and laugh as the other competitors go out of business.

Sorry...guess I'm just venting a little.
NO i totally hear you man.. this is what happened with me, so i kinda gave up well now is not the season for lawn care anyways lol but i ll try next feb-march 1 more time and see what happens.

not sure where you are at, but most lawn care around here do snow removal in winter, so there is still year round potential with that.
true, but my site is lawncare related the EMD with the city name and the site content i cant change it to the snow stuff i will have to make another site for this, but waitin to make some money of this before i jump in and spend more hehe.
my city is bilingual so i am definitely losin out on those searches as well but ill invest in gettin a regional language version of it as well and not just english.

there are different lead capture plugins that can be sent to email. set up an email and then forward the emails that way you have a record of the leads that were sent.

there are ways to make it work and sell the leads.
yes, i gotta look into this, but my focus was to sell banner spots on my site also - advertising and recommending a service provider from my city.

didn quiet go the way i wantd.. ill be ready before the start of the next season.

blackeyedpeas

Make Money Online
Brick and mortar businesses don't understand banner advertising most times

yes, i gotta look into this, but my focus was to sell banner spots on my site also - advertising and recommending a service provider from my city.

didn quiet go the way i wantd.. ill be ready before the start of the next season.

yup

You can supply new services such as winter lawn cleaning - removing the snow and so on. There are plenty lazy guys that will let the snow to grow on their lawn.